The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new Flintlock. I would like one with two triggers and I intend to shoot only round balls. I always thought if you shoot Roundballs you need the 1 in 66 twist. What kind of accuracy have you guys gotten with roundballs in a 1 in 48 twist? I was leaning towards a Hawkin. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
What are you looking to spend? If it were me and I had lesst than 500 to spend Id go with a Lyman Great Plains in a 54 cal. If I could spend a few dollars more I would opt for a semi custom built gun by one of the many makers here in PA who can custom fit a gun that will be a lifelong love! and something to pass down....Beings you are in the area Dixons Muzzleloading will be your best bet when it come to a Lyman since Chuck is the rep/dealer for the company and takes care of service and warranty work---he is the greatest! As for builders----Brad Emig, Don Getz, Bill Shipman, and at least 10 others can do you good!!
LOOK AT THE POSTS IN THE TRADITIONAL SECTION!!!!!!

·
6,450 Posts
i dont know what your looking to spend but i got a traditions last year for christmas and its a great shooter. around 300 bucks for a .50 cal hawken

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You will get less than 1 1/2" groups at 50yds if and when you find the right ball,patch,and powder combo out of a 1:48 twist.Stick with older Thompson Center or Lyman.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i have to agree BUNKY the lgp is a great gun for shooting round ball and cost less then a t/c plus you find the right load and you will out shoot a t/c anyday i beleave all around better gun but if you are looking for a full stock you might want to look at dixie gun works they make a southern poor boy its a 1;56 twist shoots GREAT i have one 50 yards 3 shots touching off hand cost a little more but its all up to you and what you want to spend just remember you get what you pay for

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've had a TC renegade for 30 years. Shoots round balls amazingly accurate out to 100 yds.. original sights,but did change the frizzen years ago to a harder steel from Dixie gun works I believe. 490 round ball 70grns 3f

1 - 9 of 9 Posts