The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the spring woods, besides a big gobbler strutting your way to your calls? A couple of year ago I was hunting a gobbler at the edge of a clearcut. It was just light enough to see. I caught a glimpse of something moving below me. It was a deer coming up over the mountain. There was a slight depression in the terrain to my right and she was walking up that. She stopped about 40 yards away and looked behind her. Then when she started moving again I saw something behind her moving. Here it was a fawn struggling to get up over the mountain. It was so tiny it must have just been born that night. I just sat there and watched them until they were out of sight. I'll never forget that.

·
6,466 Posts
yep I love a scene just as you described....but in my opinion I just love the sunrise im in awe everytime im set up and it starts coming over the ridge.....love it in the fall too on a cool morning while sitting in a tree.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I had a cow elk while hunting in Medix Run grab my turkey decoy by the head in its mouth and carry it 20 yards before dropping it. I was hunting with one of my son's at the time and wished i had that on film.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
I always keep a eye out for the Scarlet Tenager. A beautiful spring bird that is rarely seen here. Last year I was fortunate enough to find a hummingbird nest. You want to talk about a needle in a haystack find.

Morel mushrooms are a nice sight as well.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Seeing a bear always makes my season. In archery season I never see any but they always seem to be around in the spring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love to watch & listen to everything in the woods, watch the sun rise & set, the whole experience as a whole... Also, most of my hunting buddies live close to where we hunt, which is two & a half hours from where I live so getting to see my buddies is a big part of it too.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Red fox pups playing. A box turtle shuffling by. The empty pocket dug in the same spot for 30 odd years with box turtle egg shells from a hatch. The Dogwoods in full bloom. Toms' on the limb, uprite or hanging.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
dpms said:
I always keep a eye out for the Scarlet Tenager. A beautiful spring bird that is rarely seen here. Last year I was fortunate enough to find a hummingbird nest. You want to talk about a needle in a haystack find.

Morel mushrooms are a nice sight as well.
Last season I watched a pair of Scarlet Tanagers for half an hour then was interupted by 4 jakes come in to my calls . You are right about those beautiful birds !!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My father sitting beside me.....We hunt a lot together, and most times its taken for granite. But its a sight that wont last forever.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
The sight that gets me most cooked is looking out over an expanse of spring green rolling meadow and suddenly, out of nowhere, there appears a woodchuck just standing there at full draw looking over its back yard.

·
Super Moderator
13,717 Posts
I like seeing my buddies coming to my location saying "How big is he?"

Just kidding I love every thing about being out there rain or shine. I so like the quite which is only disturbed by one of gods creatures approaching, sounding off or passing by. It is a great time of the year and thanks to Spring Gobbler Season I get out of bed in the wee hours to go out and enjoy it all.

·
Administrator
39,070 Posts
treestand91 said:
yep I love a scene just as you described....but in my opinion I just love the sunrise im in awe everytime im set up and it starts coming over the ridge.....love it in the fall too on a cool morning while sitting in a tree.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love seeing the woods come to life every morning, its indescribable but ya'll know the feeling

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I love lookin out over a hill top at the fog the forms in the valleys overnight. You can trace a river or stream for miles in some places.
I also love watching younger hunters during a hunt. Seeing them light up when a gobbler answers takes me back to my younger years (not that I am that old) and first hunts.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I like to see how my son is developing a healthy respect for God's creations (i.e. Scarlet Tanagers and the other wonderful sights posted previously) and how he falls asleep in my lap during the warm post dawn hours of the Spring time turkey woods.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I love the sights and sounds of the spring woods just before and right after daylight. The day is fresh and new. I really like the sound of a gobbler going off!

·
Registered
757 Posts
dpms said:
I always keep a eye out for the Scarlet Tenager. A beautiful spring bird that is rarely seen here.
I got to see one about 8 years ago. It was stunning to see.

What I will always remember is watching 5 bull elk feeding at an apple orchard one evening when two locked horns and began to fight. After 20 - 30 seconds a second pair began to fight while the biggest bull stood to the side watched carefully.

And not a camera anywhere in the truck....

But the sound of those horns locking and crashing, echoing off the Cameron county ridges was amazing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts