The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im probably going to accesorize here in the next few weeks and start shooting but just wondering what you guys carry?

im guessing im going to need
-a powder measure
-those little speed loader things to dump your powder in so its easier
-the little ball thingy that starts the bullet
-something to carry powder for the pan?

anything else you guys carry with you or would reccomend would be appreciated..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
some shops like gander mtn have "starter kits" most of the time the include a short starter, powder measure, powder despencer, priming charger, and a touch hole poker. I might be missing something but that is pritty much all you will need. Oh yeah REAL blk powder

soon you will be making your own horn, powder measure and other accoutriments, you should also plan on going to the gun makers fair at Dixons

·
Registered
431 Posts
In my opinion forget about the speed loader for target shooting. If you buy a powder measure with a built in inverted funnel it is easy enough to pour the powder into the barrel.

If you are cheap and not worried about PC (period correct) a large safety pin makes a fine touch hole pick.

When you buy your powder measure make sure it can measure well below 50 grains. When I first started in black powder shooting my measure would only go down to 60 grains. I have since discovered with a better measure that my gun groups great at 30 and 50 grains for target shooting.

Get one of those worm attachments for pulling patches out of the bore. If you do not have an air compressor or one of those kits to blow the charge out with compressed air buy a ball puller (pretty much looks like a screw).

Make sure you have a jag for cleaning the rifle. If using real black powder give plain water a try at cleaning before buying any chemicals for cleaning.

When buying your projectile give round balls a try they are much cheaper and often seem to work pretty well for target shooting. (Many say they are great for hunting also.)

Get some books out of the library on black powder shooting, but don't believe everything your read. (you will find some subjects vary greatly from author to author depending on his opinions)

An old tackle box works nice for caring all the junk around you will soon collect. ;-)

Just some general thoughts on what you might need. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Check out http://www.rmcoxyoke.com they have plenty of flinter things for sale. I bought a cleaning kit for a 54 cal and it was fairly cheep for all I got with it. Like orvis said try hot water first before you go out and buy all kinds of cleaners. How water has been used for 100's of years with success

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
a small tackle box works fine for carring the things you need but try to find someone who shoots bp to help get you started good luck and have fun

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
flintlock??

heres my list...

ball starter..i like a T handle one that i can thread onto my ram rod for cleaning, ball pulling etc...VERY good idea to buy a good "non-breakable" ramrod with both ends threaded..cant tell you how many times ive used mine to pull balls and such..

pan primer(flintlock..)

flask...i like the TC U-View..

measurer..again, i like the TC u-view..i like those because they allow you to see the charge..not needed..but i like to see it...

that, and appropriate powder and projectiles will have you shooting..

i also carry when hunting(and usually on the range):

a pan brush and touch hole pick (carry both those and my pan primer on a leather lace around my neck..)

speed loaders..i use the rubber tubes that hold a powder charge..

ball blocks with patched balls in them

extra flints and a piece or 2 of leather..

patches soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol and dry patches..both stored in old medicine bottles..i can clean the bore, and wipe down the flint and frizzen and such with it..best piece of advice i ever got...if your flint or frizzen is dirty or oiled, your gun isnt going off..

also usually have a screw driver handy to change flints n such..

i think thats about it...

everyone likes different things and has different ways of doing it..

not much required...and i cant think of any "nice to have" items or things i carry to the range or keep at home etc...they are pretty simple guns..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like you would benefit greatly from a trip to Dixon's. 1 1/2 hrs south of Scranron on the PA Turnpike. Take your gun and what ever else you have and get all the free quality advice you'll ever need. There's a lot of things that are nice to have but not necessary, and a lot of things you can make yourself. Nothing like looking at them when they're in your hand rather than on a PC screen.

http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=muzzleloadingshop

·
Registered
970 Posts
tobyje said:
Sounds like you would benefit greatly from a trip to Dixon's. 1 1/2 hrs south of Scranron on the PA Turnpike. Take your gun and what ever else you have and get all the free quality advice you'll ever need. There's a lot of things that are nice to have but not necessary, and a lot of things you can make yourself. Nothing like looking at them when they're in your hand rather than on a PC screen.

http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=muzzleloadingshop
+1. You will not regret the trip, plus the gun makers fair there in July is a much bigger +1

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I generally avoid, the "what do I need" questions. The list is always longer than it needs to be. here are always items that you buy that may never be used again.

There is what you positively can't shoot the gun without, and the stuff that comes in handy and the stuff that is nice to have.

Positively need, a) powder. You bought a pellet but loose black is so much easier to adjust shots with. also more sure fire. Extra flint and leather strip. Don;t buy cut flints, square look like shiny sawn agate from a rock collector store. My preference is an English flint, uniform translucent gray. Hold it up to the light and check for cracks. It should look sort of square from the top and from the side, like a flattened triangle. No muddy looking swirls. You can use 3fg in both the barrel and the pan, but 4fg is better in the pan. a touch hole pick, (a large paper clip should do. balls and patches. Don't get excited about whther the patches are .010 or .30 thick. In fact, try some old rag sheets, you may have as shop rags. I have found that patch material and thickness is less critical as long as the bore is sealed. and a powder measure. and a ball starter.

probably good to have, a pliers, a screw driver, a ball puller attachment, a patch worm, a pan primer , a horn or flask. Those round brass cylinder ones are ok. A small funnel. a range rod (a stout ram road longer than the barrel for ease of loading at the range and cleaning afterward.

There are some things that will do in a pinch. Like an empty cartridge case for a powder measure. A crab mallet for a ball starter.

One of the side things most "buck skinners" find so enjoyable is making their own gear. an antler tip powder measure, making their own horn, ball starter, molding their own balls, their own possible bag, etc. Most can be made with no special tools.

The excitement of wanting to get to the range, often has folks buying far more than they need in accessories. I;d be anxious to get to business too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info...i deff think i might take a trip down to dixon's i keep hearing good things about them on here, visited the website but id much rather see stuff in person..

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I use penny rolls to hold pre-measured powder charges. Fold one end over, staple shut, pour in powder, then fold over other end and staple shut. When ready to load, tear of one end and dump powder down the bore. The crease in the roll makes it easy to pour powder from. I then use a loading block that holds six prepatched balls. Lay one hole over bore, ram ball down with short starter, then use ramrod to seat ball. These items cost next to nothing yet work well. They're not going to allow a fast reload, but no method does and a deer etc isn't going to hang around long enough to let you reload anyway. Although one did for me once but bolted the instant I got the ball rammed home.

I would buy a commercially produced pan powder charger though, just a good idea IMO.

A multi tool is good to have when adjusting flint in the jaws of the c ock, etc.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
...... A masseuse......to rub your neck when you get back from hunting. Neck? you ask......from shaking your head back and forth from missing "easy" shots.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
No one misses easy shots here!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts