Whats everyone using? Non Jerky kit.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Bologna Kit
Snack Stick Kit
Summer Sausage Kit
Trail Bologna Kit

And for the first time this year, I'm thinking of trying the Kolbassi (Kielbasa) Kit

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have yet to taste a bad kit from them. Start with trail bologna, add high temp cheese for fun, and the snack sticks are to die for

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I started out with Lem's Backwoods Kits... 2-3 years ago, I was in Gander Mountain and saw the Con-Yeager kits and have not looked back (Only way I'll use Lem's Backwoods now is if I can not get my hands on Con-Yeager kits!)... I picked up a Bologna Kit and a Summer Sausage kit.....the reason, because they had EVERYTHING in those kits, I didn't have to buy casings at an extra cast like I did with Lem's Backwoods packets...Once I used them, I found that the taste was FAR BETTER then Lem's Backwoods!

I made an order on Wednesday with Con-Yeager for 6 different kits.. Gander Mountain in Harrisburg is now not selling the Con-Yeager Spice Kits.. Oh Well, thier lose on a sale.....I refuse to use anything else if I can get Con-Yeager kits.. and if it means mail order, then it will be that way!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have to agree...I haven't found a bad one yet from Con Yeager!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Fed-Ex Just dropped off my order that I made Wednesday that Shipped Yesturday.....

Con-Yeager called yeasturday and left me a message on the total cost with shipping and also to tell me that the order was shipped...

Nice turn around on an order!!!

Has anyone tried the Kolbassi (Kielbasa) Kit ??

If so, how is it?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just placed my order today.

Bologna Kit
Snack stick kit
Pep. Snack stick kit

I should be making some next week.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I use the bologna and trail bologna kits as well and like them. I have a recipe for bologna that is better, but the kits are so much less of a hassle so i have been using them the last few years. Now this is just my opinion, but i think if you follow the direction that the flavor is a little to strong, I add another 1 pound of meat over what it calls for.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
does anyone mix some sort of fat? Pork or Suet with the mixture?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
tfabarcher35 said:
does anyone mix some sort of fat? Pork or Suet with the mixture?
When making Bologna, I do not add any pork or beef fat!

What I do and I learned this from an old Wild Game Cook Book that the PGC printed back in the 60s....

For the Con-Yeager bologna, trail bologna and summer sausage kits... take 1 cup of water and then half a cup of veggie oil and add to the mix...

NOT what is called for on the package of 1.5 cups of water...

The Veggie oil holds the moisture like beef fat or pork fat would do...and you get nothing put pure delightfull taste of DEER Meat...Not Deer/beef or Deer/Pork!

Just follow the directions on the bag as far as the cooking temps... mix the stuff up with 1 cup of water and half a cup of veggie oil, pack, place in the smoker and use the temp chart on the bag....when it is done, flash cool it either in a bucket or cold ice water or in a sink of cold ice water till it gets below 100 degrees and the veggie oil will stay right in the meat and will not add any off flavor to it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just made 30 lb total yesterday I dont mix any beef or pork either. I have been using these kits for years nothing easier or better flavor

1 snack stick kit but I use the 3 inch casing

2 salami kits, if you like garlic flavor add the diced garlic that comes in jars. The garlic really adds some nice flavor.
I like eating mine with a horseradish mustard and crackers along with a cold one.

Amazing friends who wont eat deer meat cant get enough of bologna when we have get togethers. They have no idea.

Anyone have any secret to stuffing the small snack stick size casings.

I use a 1 HP cabelas grinder for stuffing

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
GMO said:
Just made 30 lb total yesterday I dont mix any beef or pork either. I have been using these kits for years nothing easier or better flavor

1 snack stick kit but I use the 3 inch casing

2 salami kits, if you like garlic flavor add the diced garlic that comes in jars. The garlic really adds some nice flavor.
I like eating mine with a horseradish mustard and crackers along with a cold one.

Amazing friends who wont eat deer meat cant get enough of bologna when we have get togethers. They have no idea.

Anyone have any secret to stuffing the small snack stick size casings.

I use a 1 HP cabelas grinder for stuffing
Yeah, use your Grinder for Grinding and get yourself a 5 pound Stuffer....

I used my Sausagemaker Grinder with Stuffier attachements to stuff Bologna, sausage and snack sticks for 3 years... Got tired of pushing on the plunger on the grinder to get the meat to go thru and stuff in the casings...

I stopped at Gander Mountain about 4 years ago and picked up 1 of thier Guide Series 5 Pound Stuffers...
It was the BEST Investment I made!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I will be busy this week once the order comes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts