The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be using this for everything... food plot clearing, cutting some big blowdowns and dead trees. What is a good all around saw? my number one concern is that it starts easily

·
Registered
895 Posts
Stihl.....#1

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Stihl

Although i will say i have a poulon i abuse and dont take care of yet always works

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have a Husqvarna and a Poulon and they all work well and start easy. You just have to maintain them. However, the Stihl EZ start is a real nice saw.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My poulan wild thang always works great. Funny I came across this, took out of the barn today, hasn't been fired up in two years. Three pulls and it started no problem.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
unless you make your living on your saw can you justify 500 for a husky or stihl. my 150 dollar poulan pro runs just as good as my father in laws 400 husky. and weights half as much

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
There is nothing better than a Stihl. Husky is just as good, but no better. If you want the saw for life, and you will get into some big stuff now and then, the MS290 is the baseline. If you have the cash, go a little bigger, you won't be sorry. The little Wally world saws work on small stuff, but not forever and not very fast. A Stihl or Husky is an investment that can be rebuilt should you wear it out. Most of the cheap saws oil off compression, which means when they are done, they are paperweights. Spend the dough if you have it, if not, get an Echo 360. Thats just a bit more than a junker, but very good quality.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Not sure what I'd buy if I were saw shopping tomorrow.

I'm running a 1998 Husky 55 18" (pre-Rancher and Pre-big box store Husky's). Other than an occasional pull cord or spark plug, the thing's been bulletproof through 15 years of hard use. GOBS of power, too !! However....... have 2 newer Husky's of the TSC and Lowes variety that are none too impressive to me.

I never did care for the mounting on the Farm-sized Stihls. Too much vibration. And, seemingly not the grunt power of a comparable size Husky. The EZ Start system is OK when it works.......which it doesn't all the time. I MUCH prefer the decompression valve on my old Husky.

I think if I were going saw shopping tomorrow, I'd test drive a 55-60cc Jonsereds and see if I liked that.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This opens a can of worms. I am partial to jonsered, or as some call them a straight handle husky. The difference of power to weight and quality become very apparent in a pro grade saw. I figure it this way, if your gonna wear out a $200 saw every 3-5 years, why not buy an $700 saw for the next 20? With better performance etc.. Biggest things I see for shortened saw life, keep a sharp chain, it's not an angle grinder, and maintenance, use quality 2cycle oil, synthetic preferred, to the correct ratio, never lean.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
BlackBruin said:
This opens a can of worms. I am partial to jonsered, or as some call them a straight handle husky. The difference of power to weight and quality become very apparent in a pro grade saw. I figure it this way, if your gonna wear out a $200 saw every 3-5 years, why not buy an $700 saw for the next 20? With better performance etc.. Biggest things I see for shortened saw life, keep a sharp chain, it's not an angle grinder, and maintenance, use quality 2cycle oil, synthetic preferred, to the correct ratio, never lean.
Somebody told me once that the Johnny's and the Husky's are made in opposite ends of the same building in Sweden.

Don't know if that's true or not.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Can't go wrong with buying any of the top three.
Husqvarna, Jonsered, or Stihl.
My wife bought me a Jonsered 2159C to replace my 30yr old Homelite. I couldn't believe how much easier cutting wood became.
Whatever you decide to get make sure it has enough power,use a properly blended oil gas mix and keep the chains sharp.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Strut10 said:
BlackBruin said:
Somebody told me once that the Johnny's and the Husky's are made in opposite ends of the same building in Sweden.

Don't know if that's true or not.
I don't know if they are built in the same plant or not, but they essentially the same saw from what I've been told. A couple of my loggers have pieced together saws to get one working that are now a mix of red and orange.

I bought a Husky 372xp last spring and wish I would have done it years ago. I was using a Jonsered 2150, which was a good little saw, but my firewood cutting time has since been cut in half.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
My dad bought a new Jonnie back in the 70,s that we still own.Hands down the best saw made at the time.It hurts me to know that Huskies have made them copy cats of themselves.
I was gonna buy a new Jonnie several years ago but didn,t because of this reason.I was bummed cause I really wanted one.Bought a Stihl instead mostly cause the local Deere dealer I deal with carries em.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts