The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can shoot .38 specials out of a .357 chambered revolver.

What about a revolver chambered in the .45 Long Colt? Can you shoot .45 ACP? What about .454 Casull? .44 magnum?
Anything else you can shoot in a .45 LC?

Thanks.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You cannot shoot 45 acp out of a .45 colt unless you get a conversion cylinder for it, no 44 ammo either. I have a friend who had a 45 acp conversion cylinder made but the price of the cylinder negates any money you may save shooting the acp ammo. Back in the old days in the west in an emergency if a guy couldn't find .45 colt ammo he could use the short ammo for the .45 schofield but not as a regular ammo. Thse using the shcofield could not use .45 colt.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
As John noted, the only way you can use 45acp fodder in a 45 Colt, is to acquire an extra cylinder for the acp ammo. Some pistols could be had with both cylinders, at one time, if not mistaken? Ruger I think, once made such a critter and may still?

Just buy something chambered in 454 Casull, then ya can shoot 45 Colt ammo. I was around a few Casulls when they first came out. Decided my M629 S&W has all the oomph I wanted to deal with.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
454 casull was the first and only pistol to whack me in the forehead with the front sight. No thanks. 45LC and .410 play nice together
but not in a pistol, the shot shell is too long. Unless it's a taurus judge or one of the few .45LC/.410 derringers around

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
.410 buckshot works just fine in my American Derringer but I wouldn't want a revolver with a cylinder long enough to hold a shotgun shell, they are just plug ugly.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks Guys!

I am looking at the Judge as a (relatively)lightweight revolver when hiking/camping/hunting in bear country.(And one within my price range- sorry Smith and Wesson)

Just wondered if it could shoot anything other than .45LC or .410 shot shells.

John- I'm not one who holds looks in high regard when talking about postols, but this one looks good to me!

Taurus Judge

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Hey different strokes for different folks, that is why we have a big selection. They are selling Judges pretty well, I just don't like them.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya, John. Like my momma always said: "If we were all the same, it would be a pretty boring world to live in!"

·
Registered
893 Posts
There is a round call the 45 cowboy , if my meomory is correct.
Sort of a shortened 45 colt but marketed more for the cowboy action shooters.
And then there is the .45 schofield that a guy mentioned but neither of of these will be cheaper/eassier to find than the 45 colt.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Cowboy rounds are not shorter than the standard colt. They are just lighter loads. In fact, the Hornady leverevolution rounds in .45 colt has brass ever so slightly shorter than the standard .45 colt round if you stand them side by side.

·
Registered
893 Posts
John S said:
Cowboy rounds are not shorter than the standard colt. They are just lighter loads. In fact, the Hornady leverevolution rounds in .45 colt has brass ever so slightly shorter than the standard .45 colt round if you stand them side by side.
No , I am not referring to lighter cowboy loads.
I am referring to the 45cowboy special , it IS a shorter case , about the length of a 45acp case.
It is an entirely different round that I am referring to , not simply a lighter loaded 45 colt case but a shorter one and an entirely "new" round.
For the lack of a better term.
Perhaps you could google it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I am not buying it, I did google it after you suggested it and found nothing. You cannot shoot .45 acp out of a long colt without a special cylinder so I doubt you can shoot a real short round through them. If it exists, post them, not being smart, I would like to see them.

·
Registered
893 Posts
John S said:
I am not buying it, I did google it after you suggested it and found nothing. You cannot shoot .45 acp out of a long colt without a special cylinder so I doubt you can shoot a real short round through them. If it exists, post them, not being smart, I would like to see them.
Mr . I did not say it was IN a 45acp case or is was a 45acp. The case length is about the SIZE IN LENGTH of a 45acp case.
In laymens terms it is a 45 colt case , Shorther in length than the orignal 45 colt case and called the 45cowboy special.
think of the 44mag and 44 special , pretty much that exact concept. BUT of course , with the 45 colt case

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Well, it appears we were both correct, there is such a round, however from what I read in the link, you must buy a conversion cylinder to use them so they cannot be shot from a conventional cylinder.

·
Registered
893 Posts
John S said:
A big reason why you need a different cylinder in this case of 45acp and 45 colt is the rim on the 45 colt , I think you'll find most 45acp handguns use moon clips , whole or halves

·
Registered
893 Posts
John S said:
Well, it appears we were both correct, there is such a round, however from what I read in the link, you must buy a conversion cylinder to use them.
Negaitve , you can buy a conversion cylinder , mostly for round ball BP pistols I recall.
The cowboy special is absolutly capable of being fired safely in a 45 colt cylinder.
Fo' sho'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts