The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you breed into a hound.

The question comes about because I read the link Timberdoodle posted about the Gay hounds and the gentleman that bred them. In the article it hinted that one could breed a trash broke hound. Does anyone think this is possible and if you ever had one how did it stack up against those hounds you had to teach what not to chase as well as what to chase?

Speaking of coon hounds from my youth we never had a good hound that did not trash until trained not to chase trash. Those that never trashed never made the grade.
With my brother's rabbit hounds beagles and bassets he always had to brake them from trash. My lone beagle/basset was a heck of a rabbit and hare hound but it took some doing to stop him from deer and fox. I was away a lot and had little time with him when young so the bad habits took longer than most to completly brake. After he was three I never seen him run a deer or any off game except a few pheasants which I ignored because he would not open. Waugh!

·
Registered
24,729 Posts
Re: What can you breed into a hound.

Some are naturally trash proof. But I wouldn't bet the ranch on whole litters after litters being trash proof.

I don't mind working with a dog... I expect they'll all make some mistakes from time to time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

IMO, breeding a trash proof Hound is pure [censored]. It's a dog bred to run scent and we pick the scent we want it to run.

If the juice doesn't "break" them, they may not have too much upstairs though.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

One of my littermate females would run a deer pretty hard. Two treatments of dc therapy cured that. The other one would start blowing a hole in the ground when she smelled one. I would grab her by the collar and give her a firm "NO!". After a half a dozen times, she quit, without ever using the e-collar.

Now I run them both right over a freshly jumped deer, with absolutely no reaction. I put both of them on two Fox this past season with no reaction whatsoever, even though they have never been shocked or reprimanded for running one.

I had one in the late 90's that I would run down and punish when he ran a deer (no e-collar). I was never able To break him from deer.

So whether or not you can breed out trash running, I don't know. Just like kids, I think they are all different.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

I really don't know if there is a line that is all naturally trash free but there are individuals who are but there are lines that are more easily broke or are just more easily trained or controlled. I am not like most people. I would rather have a dog that is no trouble even if it isn't top notch than one who is a great hunter but you end up hunting the dog. The Gay dog I had I was lucky and he was great on both ends.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

IMO, breeding a trash proof Hound is pure [censored]. It's a dog bred to run scent and we pick the scent we want it to run.
This is my way of thinking. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

...but there are lines that are more easily broke or are just more easily trained or controlled....
I could understand this and agree with this part and only this part. I still can't understand how any could be born trash free.

I would rather have a dog that is no trouble even if it isn't top notch than one who is a great hunter but you end up hunting the dog.
Don't know if I agree. I can live with a hound that is not the best of the best or even better than the next guys as long as he hunts good enough for me.

If you need to hunt your dog because of trash I feel you need to train it better.

If you need to hunt your dog because it is hunting what you want and you don't want that dog please send me a PM. I will be right over to pick him up.
Waugh!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

To answer the question of how can a hound be naturally trash proof? I've had 3 beagles all from the same blood that were all naturally trash proof (2 of them are dead and 1 is 12 yrs old and retired) none of them ever offered to run anything but a rabbit. I can't explain it but I've seen several others from the same line that were the same way.

·
Registered
686 Posts

"Gamey" hounds are bred to do just that, chase game. I have to agree with someone who said we train them to chase the game we want them to chase. If you want a deer hound, train them on deer, correct em on everything else. If you want a rabbit hound or a coyote and fox hound, same thing, train them on what you want them to chase, correct them on everything else. Never trust a young hound.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Seen it in coonhounds. Show em what you want them to chase and they are fine. Little to no trash problems and if they do you can break em easy. It's all about that grey matter between their ears. You can breed for intelligence.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts

John-PA said:
I've had 3 beagles all from the same blood that were all naturally trash proof (2 of them are dead and 1 is 12 yrs old and retired) none of them ever offered to run anything but a rabbit.
Definitely had quite a few beagles over the years that wouldn't touch anything besides a cottontail. Foxhounds, now that's a totally different story.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Does this count as "naturally" broke?

I wish I would have seen it sooner. An e-collar would have saved us both some bloodshed.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Run2Catch said:
That's what I mean by "Gamey" hound. Your poor hound came across a porker on a slow tracking day. Everyone runs amoungst It and at least you can admit it. A hard headed hound will probably do that again given the chance. There is no way on gods earth that a Gamey hound could be bred not to chase the game you do not want it to.

I wish I would have seen it sooner. An e-collar would have saved us both some bloodshed.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Little Big Man said:
Run2Catch said:
That's what I mean by "Gamey" hound. Your poor hound came across a porker on a slow tracking day. Everyone runs amoungst It and at least you can admit it. A hard headed hound will probably do that again given the chance. There is no way on gods earth that a Gamey hound could be bred not to chase the game you want it to.

Yeah, she's not the one broke from deer by telling her "NO!".

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I just think a lot of houndsmen forget the small mistakes during training and have total recall of the finshed hound that gives so much pleasure and pride. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

As soon as I get a pup started on a rabbit, where he will mouth or sight chase, I start breaking them on deer and fox. I think its easier to break them before they actually get to run trash.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

I think it's a lot easier to run them with trash free hounds and keep them on the game you want for as long as possible. It seems to really minimize the chances of a pup running trash, in my experience anyway.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I think it's a lot easier to run them with trash free hounds and keep them on the game you want for as long as possible. It seems to really minimize the chances of a pup running trash, in my experience anyway.
Seems reasionable. But where does one get these trash free hounds from in the first place when starting out? Is it bred in or is a learned trait? Waugh!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

I don't care if you broke them or they were naturally trash free, either way it will help tremendously to run young dogs with them. Even better if the older dog is a tattle tale on a trash running pup. If you have one 2 yrs old and it's still running trash, well I won't tell you what needs done with that one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts