The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
surely there has to be something that can be done to these state forests. centre county has gotta have some of the worst habitat i have ever seen for a state forest.

more controlled burns, chemical applications, clearcut? something needs done!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
The legislature just passed a law limiting liability to the match striker for controlled burns last year. Since, there have been several classes offered on controlled burns, and I know a good number of people who have taken them.

I also know a fair amount of game lands, etc. it has already been practiced on.

Weather plays a factor, as do the protestors. I hear Center County has to staff WCO's just to keep the PETA folks out of the burn areas.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow those people must really be blind as to what it takes to keep a forest healthy.

can anyone take the class?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
DCNR and the PGC have been using chenical applications on timber cuts for years now. Works well.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow their site is horrid

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
redrock, i think about 90% of them need a fire. thats the thing, we dont have forrest fires like we used to. the minute it starts to burn, we put it out. LET HER BURN

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive often wondered what would be the outcome from that sort of thinking and with working in agriculture id have to agree. theres gotta be something, boy i wish my company would let me put these tools in the hands of serious wildlife biologists. i think theres a whole different arena for precision agriculture in the hunting industry. the tools i have at my fingertips would blow the minds of pa farmers. i dream of what it can do for wildlife. it takes into account even things like CDMS and making sure that chemical applications arent a conflict with the EPA. Amazing stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts