The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I can plant in a swampy areas for deer? I have several 1/2 acre areas on our property that is mostly cattails. Not much standing water but it stays wet. Any type of seeds I can broadcast over it or shrubs I can plant to thicken it up?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Swamp white oak.

Agree on the swamp white oak. I have trees started bearing acorns in seven years. Ten years into my planting I have probably 70% of the trees bearing acorns now. In addition they bear every year. I recommend you tree tube them. Missouri DCNR is a great source for them.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Check the plants list that Howards nursery sells. The list shows what habitat plants like and the benefit to which wildlife. I think Wild plum was also a good wet location plant. It also forms a thicket as it spreads. We planted some in our meadow along the creek. Button bush and Elderberry too.
Tree Seedling Index

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a similar situation but the area I need to plant them in have high winds. The Ash bore has killed off most trees around my cabin and the winds have taken the rest of them out. Starting to look like a lot in a development!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Anything that will grow there and will help choke the cattails out. With enough years of cattails spreading you will lose your wetlands. hey trap debris and eventually it will make hard ground.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Pin oaks are a possibility. They grow in damp floodplain areas.

Black willows grow in wet areas along streams and their roots extend right into the water. They are mostly found along limestone streams. Apparently they require fertile, alkaline soils.

Dogwoods grow in damp areas. So do alders.

But usually places with a lot of cattails are pretty wet. It may be too wet for any kind of tree or shrub.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Cattails are a butch, to put it nicely.

Buttonbush do very well in areas where cattails are prevalent. I have spent many hours removing cattails from our duck pond....not sure which is worse, cattails or ailanthus!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts