The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I have a lull between hunting season/ice fishing (February) and spring trout and surf fishing (April). My question is what can be caught in March?

I live in eastern PA. I like catching crappie and think they might be catchable in March. I also like to fish for walleye and was considering jigging in the Delaware River. Any suggestions on where? Is it too early?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You could fish for trout in special regs streams. All fly fishing, c&r streams are open and delayed harvest artifical lures only streams are open. You have several streams within an hour drive of you. I was out on Monday and caught some.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I been catching some bass at the crum creek res in Springfield del co. Also been doing well at the flat rock dam area of the skukill ( sorry for spelling)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am partial to crappie and walleye, even over trout except for flyfishing. I'm going to get the boat out and ready for next weekend. Right now I am thinking walleye in the Delaware River or crappie in a lake (possibly Nockamixon). I have never gone this early before. Anyone have any tips on where to find the fish?

·
Registered
314 Posts
you could try the bridges at trenton for eyes.plan your trip to fish the top of the high tide.lots of rocks and rapids at low tide.use jigs tipped w/live leeches or power leeches

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Hootshoot, I like that idea. I fished up that way once for herring. I launched at Yardley and took my boat through Trenton falls.

I don't want to pass through the falls this time - it was scary last time (I was in a 19' Carolina Skiff). Do you know of anywhere I could launch the boat south of the falls?

I am really eager to get out. I was a shut in this past fall. I was even thinking of heading to Sunbury to try wading in the Susquehanna. I know some walleye are caught up there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My dad and I were out two weeks ago after walleye by the power plant dam (below the fiber dam) in Sunbury. We are heading out again Saturday since its suppose to be so nice out. They weren't biting 2 weeks ago, at least not what we were throwing at them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Springer,there is a ramp south of the falls on duck island.about 5-10 minute run.if you cross the rt.1 bridge ,take 29 south thru the tunnel and look for ramp on right.im gonna give it a shot first nice day.I run the falls alot with my jet boat.I still get nervous every time i do.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Nockamixon is good for Walleye and catfish. Troll with a rebel crawfish. Drify with minnows.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Falls Township has a ramp below the falls. Nice ramp but docks are out of water now. Should have no problem launching though. Think it is called Penn Quaker park. It is just past Pennsbury Manor. I fish the area often. Havent had any luck going for walleye. Mostly striper and catfish. There are some resident stripers now but not sure how good bite is this rime of year with low water temps for them. If there is eyes they will bite

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Oh yea. Rhe ramp on the jersey side is def closer to the falls. There is a nice deep channel on the jersey side that begins just down stream from the RR bridge. Bout the 2nd and third arch off the jersey side. Deep between those arches also. Anything north of that can get shallow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts