The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to add 6 to 8 new cams to my arsenal to aid in scouting for next year. What’s decent? I don’t really want anything crazy as these are going to have a fair chance of being stolen. So $100 or less would be optimal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my photos, I think they are in good quality.

I’m looking to add 6 to 8 new cams to my arsenal to aid in scouting for next year. What’s decent? I don’t really want anything crazy as these are going to have a fair chance of being stolen. So $100 or less would be optimal.
Christmas is coming, since you missed the black friday, so maybe you can buy WingHome trail camera this Christmas holiday, they will be promotions online, and these are photos taken by my winghome camera, they are very good!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Richard T I don't see any pics or videos ! I also looked for your pics in the other thread and no pic !! unless something is wrong with my computer !!

007 Hunter I would look at the Moultrie W40i I have 14 Moultrie cams and love them ! You can buy them off of Ebay for around $80 and they have allot more options as to pics, videos and delay settings. They also have a detection range of 80', have a 0.3 second trigger speed,18 mp and come with a 2 year warranty !! They have very good quality pics and videos !! Plus the customer service you get from them is second to none !!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
A couple things to consider: 1) $100 for just the camera? I ask because I have a package for each of my camera's - 2 SD cards ($12), 2 sets (16) Eneloop rechargeable batteries ($40), Python Lock ($20), security box ($35). You can eliminate the rechargeables ($40 each) and figure on spending about $30 on 48 batteries which will power 6 cameras. So, before the camera you're at $107 per camera :) You can 'get away' without the security box and the batteries, but you're still at $37 before camera. Anyway, that all aside, I have Primos, Covert, Moultrie, Cuddybak, and Stealthcam. (Had WGI and won't have another). Bang for my buck are the Primos Proof 1 Gen 2 when they are on sale. I got a few of them last year for $30 after a rebate, but you can generally get them around $50 from Dicks or F&S. They are simple to use, take great pictures and have a good trigger speed. The Stealthcams I have are white flash and take nice color night pictures, but they are at or over $100 each, you can't use rechargeables, and the battery life isn't the longest. I liked my Moultrie cams until I had an issue and had to deal with their CS. Not very helpful or accommodating. I've an M80XT working in the woods for about 3 years straight now, and an M880 that crapped out after a year. The Covert was their low end camera and does a decent job. It's along the same lines as the Primos, but isn't in the same league as the Primos as far as image quality, trigger speed, sensor distance, flash, etc. I bought a Cuddyback Long Range IR because of the crazy fast trigger speed and 20 mp. It is (by far) my worst camera. The only one that fogs up every morning, triggers on the slightest weed movement, takes terrible night pictures and just generally a disappointment for $150, or $100, or $50 compared to the Primos. All that being said, I would stay away from Wild Game Innovations, but look at the other known brand names and compare features. Flash distance and trigger speed are important, but so is image quality. Good luck.

·
Registered
22,116 Posts
tasco trail cams at walmart for 28 bucks. if they get stolen, so what. if you dont care about 600 to 800 dollars worth of gear getting stolen, could you just forget about buying the cameras and send me the 800 dollars :)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I currently have 13 Bushnell trophy cams. Most came from ebay less than 100.00ea. I can get a year or more from 8 AA battery's, take great pics and video w sound. remaining cameras are Cuddebacks, they are not what they were 15 years ago.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
What i like best so far is browning cams.
Would never buy another cuddy. Had some good scoutguard cams a few years back. Got about 5 years from them.
Bushnell i still have 2 of them. Kind of phasing into all Brownings.
To many whiteouts and blanks from the bushnell.
The Essential i have works better then the other more expensive bushnells i have

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tasco trail cams at walmart for 28 bucks. if they get stolen, so what. if you dont care about 600 to 800 dollars worth of gear getting stolen, could you just forget about buying the cameras and send me the 800 dollars /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
I tested one of those tasco cams out last year and it is the worst!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple things to consider: 1) $100 for just the camera? I ask because I have a package for each of my camera's - 2 SD cards ($12), 2 sets (16) Eneloop rechargeable batteries ($40), Python Lock ($20), security box ($35). You can eliminate the rechargeables ($40 each) and figure on spending about $30 on 48 batteries which will power 6 cameras. So, before the camera you're at $107 per camera /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif You can 'get away' without the security box and the batteries, but you're still at $37 before camera. Anyway, that all aside, I have Primos, Covert, Moultrie, Cuddybak, and Stealthcam. (Had WGI and won't have another). Bang for my buck are the Primos Proof 1 Gen 2 when they are on sale. I got a few of them last year for $30 after a rebate, but you can generally get them around $50 from Dicks or F&S. They are simple to use, take great pictures and have a good trigger speed. The Stealthcams I have are white flash and take nice color night pictures, but they are at or over $100 each, you can't use rechargeables, and the battery life isn't the longest. I liked my Moultrie cams until I had an issue and had to deal with their CS. Not very helpful or accommodating. I've an M80XT working in the woods for about 3 years straight now, and an M880 that crapped out after a year. The Covert was their low end camera and does a decent job. It's along the same lines as the Primos, but isn't in the same league as the Primos as far as image quality, trigger speed, sensor distance, flash, etc. I bought a Cuddyback Long Range IR because of the crazy fast trigger speed and 20 mp. It is (by far) my worst camera. The only one that fogs up every morning, triggers on the slightest weed movement, takes terrible night pictures and just generally a disappointment for $150, or $100, or $50 compared to the Primos. All that being said, I would stay away from Wild Game Innovations, but look at the other known brand names and compare features. Flash distance and trigger speed are important, but so is image quality. Good luck.
I know you use rechargeable batteries but every year on Black Friday Lowe’s has a 36 pack of AA’s for $6. So I am well stocked for the year.

·
Registered
22,116 Posts
I tested one of those tasco cams out last year and it is the worst!

thank you for letting me know. i have had great luck with my primos easy cam that i got for 25.00 dollars on sale last year and was thinking the tasco might not be bad.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I have a newer tasco. It’s nice, good pics, night pics a little weak but then it happened. 2500 pics all at night except some guy walking passed in daylight. All night pics were black. Nothing worse than the cam doing all that good work and messing up. It could be batteries.. haven’t checked yet. No way to lock it to prevent someone from opening it and stealing memory card.

I have mostly bushnell Walmart cams. Around $100 but you can get them cheaper on eBay. They don’t do great with blur, but I can’t justify spending more to have them walk away. 4 Batteries last me about 10 months.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looking for a trail cam? I would go to Trail Cam Pro - https://www.trailcampro.com/

They have reviews and in-depth data. They might be a little more expensive to buy from, but they give you an extra year on warranty. And they are tops for customer information and service. I got my Browning from them. Very happy with purchase.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I frequently buy refurbished stealth cams off camofire. When they have them they typically have a bunch if models. I get them for $34.99 and have not had a problem with any of them yet. A couple of them I've ran for 2 full seasons now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts