The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over many decades of hand loading i have used many different brands of bullets. I have loaded for 22 caliper,6mm and mostly 30 caliper rounds.
The 30's being my favorite,because my first rifle was an 03-a3 Army surplus rifle and my family all had 30's.
I have loaded Remington,Winchester,Speer,Sierra and Hornady brands! I even load and shoot cast lead bullets i make my self.
I've put together rounds with Round nose bullets,Boat tails and flat base ones! Between the boat tails and the flat base bullets i can see very little difference in their performance.
Over the years my favorite has become the Sierra flat base in the 150 or 165 grain SP in my 308 or 30-06.These just seem like i can get them to fly better than other brands of bullets? I am sure that every brand of bullet is a clone of the ones put into each box be it Hornady,Winchester Speer or Sierra?
In the 1980s, i bought Reminton brand and liked them .for the price.Shot well and took animals down quite well. As the decades moved along,i started to loose faith in them? I had a hard time getting them hold groups of say 1 or 2 inches. There was always a few that went way out of the grouping,a lot,like 5 inches! I would check my powder,my brass and primers my dies and my technique! All seemed the same? One day i opened a box of 165 grain Rems and happened to look at them. The bottoms of some of them were not flat or had a ring or ridge around it.Then i weighted them and measured a bunch of them. I came up with a bunch of different weights and different over all length of the slugs.I was having trouble with my 243 Win also,but even worse groups? I popped open a new box of 6mm-100 gr. and they were even worse than the 30 cals.
My use of Remington bullets came to end that day! I never used many Speers,but i would venture to say they are a good bullet company,even though i had heard they had had problems years back? Hornady's are good but i don't like the canalure on them. So i have just stayed with the Sierra company.
I have not used Barnes solid copper bullets. I don't load my rounds fast enough to open them up?
As to Nosler,they are good but ,IMHO,are too destructive!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Been loading for many years. I use good old cheap Speer. Load them in everything from 223 to 338 win mag. Don't think there is any need to use those $$$$ bullets. Its all about shot placement.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I have used a few different brands/types, mostly Hornady and Nosler. A few Speers, and a few Sierras.

For deer hunting, I really can't find anything that works better and more reliably than a Nosler Partition. Everyone complains about two things with them--- either that they cost too much or that they don't shoot well for them.

I buy them as "seconds" at very reasonable prices, and with some load work I've so far had great success in getting at least acceptable, if not better, groups from the Partition.

I'm pretty much a Nosler fan at this point. My favorite bullets for big game, in no particular order, are:

Nosler Partition
Nosler Accubond
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Hornady Interbond
Speer HotCor (30 cal and up)

I do NOT like:

Sierra GameKing-bad experience with them
Hornady SST- spotty performance for me with these
Anything monometal- used the Hornady GMX and it's lethal, but it doesn't make big holes at all
Hornady Interlock- I have still probably killed the most deer with these, but they break often for me

·
Registered
21,629 Posts
tdd said:
I have used a few different brands/types, mostly Hornady and Nosler. A few Speers, and a few Sierras.

For deer hunting, I really can't find anything that works better and more reliably than a Nosler Partition. Everyone complains about two things with them--- either that they cost too much or that they don't shoot well for them.

I buy them as "seconds" at very reasonable prices, and with some load work I've so far had great success in getting at least acceptable, if not better, groups from the Partition.

I'm pretty much a Nosler fan at this point. My favorite bullets for big game, in no particular order, are:

Nosler Partition
Nosler Accubond
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Hornady Interbond
Speer HotCor (30 cal and up)

I do NOT like:

Sierra GameKing-bad experience with them
Hornady SST- spotty performance for me with these
Anything monometal- used the Hornady GMX and it's lethal, but it doesn't make big holes at all
Hornady Interlock- I have still probably killed the most deer with these, but they break often for me
That sums it up for me as well.I've had very spotty and inconsistent terminal results with Interlocks,SST's,coreloks,gamekings and ballistic tips.The best combination I've had as far as consistant accuracy and consistant terminal performance has been accubonds.I've been tinkering with Barnes tsx's lately and they've really impressed me with their terminal performance,especially with smaller calibers but they can be a little finicky.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Barnes X, all the way for me. TSX or TTSX. Either way, as I'm not shooting long distance.

The thing I don't like about Nosler Partition is the small exit holes. They shed their whole front section and the only thing that exits is like a pencil eraser. Lots of bullets these days retain more weight and keep a bigger mushroom all the way through the target.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
How fast are you moving them?

I've had Partitions at near 3k from my 300WSM hit deer close (under 50 yards) and make quarter-sized exit wounds.

I've yet to totally blow the front half off except in the bullets I've recovered from the dirt/rocks behind the target frame. In game, I've always had quarter- to half dollar-sized exits.

The GMX gave me caliber in, caliber out. Made a freakin' mess in between, but the drain holes were too small for my liking.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I don't bother to do much loading anymore. But use to load a few hundred rounds a week.
Certain guns like some better then others but Ive always had good accuracy with Sierra. HPBT Matchkings. 168gr.

I've messed with some barnes and in my inline they are not the most accurate but destroy deer.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I use whatever works.....

Currently I have loads that are using......

Sierra Game King
Speer Grand Slam
Barnes TSX & TTSX
Nosler Ballistic Tip
Winchester Power Point
Hornady BTHPM
Sierra Match King
Nosler AccuBond

.....and others, I am sure

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
I've tried many along the way in factory loads...

Once I started handloading I have a drawer full of ballistic tips and accubonds..

I've found I can swap the 2 completely interchangeably....even for load development... accuracy stays the same..same POI..works for me..saves some money...i double check..

I have been deer hunting with the accubonds probably since around the time they came out..or I first heard of them...

.284, .308, .358cal...i did see odd results with the 308 and haven't figured out why...the 280rem and 35 whelen are lightning bolts with accubonds..only 1 deer has ran after being hit with them and it was a "Texas heart shot" essentially on a buck I was gunna pass till I saw his guts hanging out...

The 308...i shot a buck in the neck broadside just in front of the shoulder..bullet didn't exit...he dropped stone cold dead..but there is what...6" of meat here? I know the bone mass of the vertebrae and all that is a tough thing..but 45.5gr of Varget and a 165gr bullet at 15yds or so?? Bullet turned out pretty nice but didn't exit.. basically looked like a grenade went off but bullet was intact..

I think earlier the same season it was the 2nd or 3rd day...my buddy and I were alone...we both picked spots to sit and the other pushed...i picked a secluded standing corn field I was sure would be worthwhile...

Out runs a big coyote.. running at me angling slightly left..i stopped him as he was hard quartering towards me..put the cross hairs on the frotn left shoulder and touched her off..he hit the dirt and started rolling a bit..told my buddy "dead coyote! send me a buck now!".

That dang yote gained his wheels and ran down the field...angles and skyline I couldnt shoot again...not a whole lot of blood and we don't find him..

Almost 2 full weeks later on the last day I already killed my buck so I was pushing..no gun..i stopped to block the back door and let the crew catch up...he comes a yote..plain as day fist sized hole on the front left shoulder... obviously busted and very stiff..noone else got a shot..no doubt at all that it was the one I shot...how in the world....the bullet had to stop after blowing up the shoulder....again..same load... clearly an explosive hit..but no penetration...

Guessing the 308 bullet may be made for higher velocity???

I sold my 308 for now ...not due to that...but man..same load and 2 odd stories that should certainly been dead animals..I've killed a few deer and coyotes..it wasn't a shot placement error...it was certainly a bullet mishap of some sort...I'm thinking velocity..

I saw the effects of the accubonds in numerous deer and a coyote in the 280 and whelen...both are absolutely explosive and destructive but come out intact and leave a nice exit hole....lots of guys argue they aren't explosive...again..I've shot a few critters withthrm and have compared results during butchering to other bullets..they are absolutely violent...

The coyote I shot with the 280 was facing me hard..in just right of the front right shoulder..exited between ribs and hind quarter on left side...the entire carcass was bloodshot purple from the shock and that bullet didn't hit bone really...

Love them...just need to figure out what was wrong with the 308 loads...

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
That is freakin' WEIRD with the 308, for sure.

I've used the Accubond in my 257 Roberts at very modest speeds (2600 at the muzzle for a 110gr AB) and killed a couple very big does with them and had excellent wound channels.

I killed a whitetail doe and a mulie buck with 140gr AB's from my 264 Win Mag that were SIZZLING (3300 at the muzzle...I gotta ease that down...it's too hot, lol). The meat loss on both was insane. All made clean exits about quarter-sized, but the bloodshot/destroyed meat was pretty substantial. I meant the 264 to be flat and fast and able to drive through a deer as far as possible so as to permit less ideal shot angles (not Texas Heart Shot unless necessary as noted in the post above). It does it....in spades....but holy smokes does it beat up the deer.

Most of my stuff is not set up to be smokin' fast like that, but for that rifle, I wanted that. And I got it, lol.

My very favorite PA hunting rig is my M70 rebored to 35 Whelen shooting a 250gr Speer HotCor. Not horrible on meat, but it's just a hammer on deer.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I saw the same thing with an Accubond. My dad shot a medium sized doe with a 140 or 150 grain Accubond from Federal factory ammo in 7mm Rem Mag. About a 25 yard shot, behind the shoulder. There was a good foot or more snow on the ground so we just followed the tracks to the dead deer. Not a drop of blood and no exit wound. Deer ran about 100 yards. Still sratching my head on that one.

·
Registered
21,629 Posts
I've killed crap piles of deer with 165 gr accubonds in front of 45 gr varget.All but one dropped and all had massive exit wounds.I shot one last year at about 75 yards,center punching her lungs perfectly.She mule kicked and ran about 100 yards before running down a huge,steep ravine and dying at the bottom.The lungs were shredded and the exit wound was easily visible from the top of the ravine.Sometimes they just run and you can't explain it.A few years ago,a WOUNDED DOE CAME PAST ME AT LAST LIGHT ON THE LAST DAY.I normally wouldn't take a texas heart shot but she was limping badly and it was the only shot I had.The bullet busted through her pelvic bone and lodged under the hide at the very front of her chest.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Only thing I shoot with AccuBonds is paper anymore.

Had a complete failure to expand on a doe with a 140 grain AB leaving the muzzle of my 7-STW at 3605 fps. 7mm hole in.....7mm hole out......no blood. Found the deer but only because we had enough guys to fan out and look.

It's a very accurate bullet for me. But if they aren't gonna expand at THOSE kinda speeds...... I'd be scared to death to use one in a 7-08 or a 7x57 or a .280, etc......

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
It may have expanded too much.

I've found 140AB's from my 264 in the dirt at the range. They are often peeled back to the boattail when they hit hard rock. When that happens, the lead core "smears" off, leaving some lead lined copper peeled back really hard. They're usually at 20-30% weight retention.

I wonder if you smashed it hard enough to blow off the front of it and peel back the rest and leave essentially a shank to exit?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
tdd said:
It may have expanded too much.

I've found 140AB's from my 264 in the dirt at the range. They are often peeled back to the boattail when they hit hard rock. When that happens, the lead core "smears" off, leaving some lead lined copper peeled back really hard. They're usually at 20-30% weight retention.

I wonder if you smashed it hard enough to blow off the front of it and peel back the rest and leave essentially a shank to exit?
Nope. When cutting the deer up it was just as if it had been shot with an FMJ.

Wife's uncle had a complete opposite failure when an AccuBond from his .338 RUM did a splat on a bull elk's ribcage......

I just don't trust them anymore except for shooting paper and steel.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
mfuff said:
I have never lost a deer to a Hornady Spire Point or Barnes TSX.
I've shot a lot with Spire Points. They started breaking apart pretty regularly, though, in the last 10 years or so, and I was getting sketchy. I shot a big doe at 400 yards with my 30-06 with a 165BTSP and it blew apart inside her. Yeah, I got the deer, but I was done with them for hunting at that point.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts