The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a new bow with about 50-55lbs. draw weight on it and Im gonna get some new carbon arrows what broadheads should I get? I shoot 100gr.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
make sure you dont just get ANY carbon arrow. they vary widely in GPA(grains per inch) and can make a huge difference in speed and power. I personally shoot 60lbs and im dropping down to an 85 grain head and the carbon express maxima arrow. I know i can pick up a lot more speed. The lower price carbon is heavy. You tack a 100grain broadhead on a 28" arrow at 9.9 grains per inch and youre shooting buffalo material. You dont need that on whitetails.

Ive tried almost every broadhead there is too try and I keep coming back to the American Broadhead Company Sonics. They fly great(zero plane technology), are sharp AND REASONABLY priced. You get 6 for the price of other companies three. I just havent found a better flyer or penetrater for the money. Youll hear a variety of opinions but Im telling you, ive done them all... rage, slick tricks, muzzy, magnus and when i order my next set of sonics im ordering 3 packs so that if for some unforeseen reason they quit making them I can shoot them for a long time to come.

http://www.americanbroadhead.com/

oh and FYI, based on what ive seen Carbon Express makes the lightest GPA arrow on the market. You really need to calculate this out and see what you NEED. Not what everyone else is shooting or your down range trajectory will really suffer.

Most people shoot 100 grain or 125 grain because they think of it like bullets. Broadheads and bullets are not the same. A heavier head gives better penetration on bigger game and thats about all there is too it. A broadhead thats 85 grains USUALLY is the same or very close to the same cutting diameter. In fact, the sonic 85 grain is a 1" cut while the 100 grain is only 7/8" cut.

PM me if you need any help.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'll second the Sonics. They do fly great. With that poundage I would go w/ a cut on contact head. But I'm no archery expert either.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I use slick tricks and they work good for me. I started with really light carbon arrows and I went to a lttle heavier ones after I hit a couple deer and the arrow didn't passthru. That was the advice the bow shop owner gave me too. I recovered the deer quickly but I like to have passthrus. Now passthrus aren't a problem and my bow is quieter using the heavier arrows. Every setup is a little different though.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I will note, my bow is whisper quiet since adding a fuse SPS system. It really needs custom tuned to your setup. A pass through will also directly relate to impact point, size of cut compared to force. I hear guys always say theyve had a rage not pass through. Its not rocket science if youre pushing a 2" cutting head you better bring the KE BIG TIME.

heres another post I JUST wrote that you should read.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1505818#Post1505818

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I shoot 51lbs & use either the ABC sonics or the PHATHEAD. They both fly great & are cut on contact. You won't have any problems with either head.

·
Super Moderator
13,626 Posts
Unlike many of the others I have not tried several broadheads. Several years ago 15 + I purchased some Thunderheads and I have had no reason to try others. They group very well, perform complete broadside penetration and are very durable. I harvested 3 bucks with one head and it is still straight. the replaceable heads are very easy to sharpen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts