The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of slugs do you guys use for deer? Is is worth paying $18.00 a box or are the cheaper slugs just as effective?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Re: What brand of slugs?

My Mossberg likes the Hornady SST's
Shoots 1" groups at 100 yds
can buy them for 10. - 12.00

·
Registered
114 Posts

My Remington 870 with a Hastings barrel is very fond of Lightfields. 1 1/2in groups at 100 yards. $12-14 a box.

·
Registered
846 Posts

it depends on your gun setup. If you have a smoothbore barrel, then you want rifled slugs - always cheaper. If you have a rifled barrel, you don't want to shoot rifled slugs, but sabots-- more expensive. Within 100 yards, the deer won't tell the difference. The sabots and rifled barrels allow the 'reach out and touch' effect, 200 yards is definitely not unreal these days.

That said, like 4clabs, I have a mossberg 20 that loves SST's, and it's dynomite on deer.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts

brenneke green lightning out of my remington 870 cantilever rifled barrel $7.99 a box and i can touch holes at 100 yards

took down a 17 inch 8 point at 105 paces on opening day
double lung, acted like it got hit by "lightning"

this is a rifled barrel shooting inexpensive rifled slugs not sabots.

worked just like the factory rep said they would.

·
Registered
781 Posts

I like Remington Buckhammers. They shoot great, put a big hole in deer, and aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

Buckhammers won't shoot worth a darn out of my 870. My gun prefers the SST's, Remington Core Lokt and the Winchester Partition Gold. Took me a long, long time at the range to finally get it just right.

·
Registered
957 Posts

Lightfields 2 3/4 inch sabots are deadly out of my Mossberg rifled barrel. The only concern I have with them is the lack of an exit hole. I almost always find the slug on the opposite side in the hide, mushroomed and intact. I can't complain, the farthest any went was about 30 yards!

·
Registered
400 Posts

Lightfields 2 3/4 inch sabots out of my Browning A-bolt
Winchester Gold Supremes out of my Benelli
KO Buckhammers out of my Ithaca

·
Registered
9 Posts

I was wondering if I shoot regular remington rifled slugs(the cheap ones) out of my mossberg 835 rifled barrel will it hurt my gun or the barrel? Also what kind of accuracy difference are we looking at between the two? Any info is much appreciated

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

The cheap slugs will eventually lead up the rifling and you will curse for a long time trying to get the rifling clean so the gun shoots better again.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts

GettingBuckBaby said:
I was wondering if I shoot regular remington rifled slugs(the cheap ones) out of my mossberg 835 rifled barrel will it hurt my gun or the barrel? Also what kind of accuracy difference are we looking at between the two? Any info is much appreciated
TRY THIS:

link to brenneke testimonal with pics.
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_storiesdetails.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=233&tx_ttnews[backPid]=184&cHash=455d4bf33e

look for the "17 inch 8 point link on the right hand side. for some reason the whole link above wont highlight.

and:

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/brennekeaufyoutube0.html

·
Registered
91 Posts

I also use Brenneke for my 12gauge. They work great especially since can't use shot at the game lands.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

My Ithaca M87 Deerslayer does very well with the Hornady SST. One of the reason I choose this slug is because the 87 deerslayer has a very fast twist rate and the Hornady SST is a very fast slug. May dads Moss 500 (rifled barrel) Shoots Remington copper solids very well. My Moss 500 (smoothbore) shoots Brenneke Rotwielers and Remington sluggers very well. I have noticed shooting deer with the Brenneke slugs they just tend to fold up and drop. Then again if you hit a deer with a 12ga slug they normally should.

·
Registered
258 Posts

I like to use Lightfield 2 3/4 Hybrids out of my 20 ga H&R Ultra Slug.I tried the Hornady's, which are a good slug, but the lightfields patterned better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts