The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on getting a daily limit of squirrel with my shotgun, bringing home at least one groundhog with the Xbow and a deer with the Xbow.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
My goals are to get out every day that I can.
I want to fill all my doe tags before Fall Archery ends.
I'd like to have my target buck on the ground as well.
Also like to get in some squirrel hunting. Haven't done that in a couple years because Archery is BIG for me.
Having fun! That's the main thing for me!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Janie said:
Also like to get in some squirrel hunting. Haven't done that in a couple years because Archery is BIG for me.
I just found out you can archery hunt squirrel with blunt tips. That would be quite the challenge! When we go out for squirrel, I have a 20 gage and husband has a .22 or the 12 gage. I love squirrel hunting and I hope we get to do it a lot this year.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I love to squirrel hunt too! I didn't do it last year because I was too tied up in Archery to put my bow down.

You can youtube some pretty cool vidz on shooting squirrels with a bow.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Janie said:
I love to squirrel hunt too! I didn't do it last year because I was too tied up in Archery to put my bow down.

You can youtube some pretty cool vidz on shooting squirrels with a bow.
Isn't it cool?

I took the oldest daughter out today for groundhog. Had a mess of fun but the groundhog just came out and went back in his hole. Squirrels are funner with their antics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After tagging along with my boyfriend last year for my first predator hunting season I was hooked. Last year I was learning the basics, watching the guys on many stands and just really taking in how to hunt at night with a light (before last year I had only archery and rifle hunted deer). At the end of the season I finally stepped up to take the shot but missed on two different stands
. But though super disappointed in myself at the time it was a great learning experience. So of course my goal for this year is to take my first canine!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got very close to a doe this past hunting trip. It was our first hunt at a new location so we were trying to figure out where they were. The first night we were not so successful (though we heard them and I had a buck 70 yards away). The next day after the morning sit we took a look around and found the area with the fresh sign. We set up right with a window on a trail but the doe saw me at 30 yards. She didn't bolt right away and hung around maybe ten minutes seeing if she should chance it. Ultimately, I just did not get a chance at a good shot. Wish me luck next time!

·
Registered
52 Posts
WestPhillyFam said:
Janie said:
I just found out you can archery hunt squirrel with blunt tips. That would be quite the challenge! When we go out for squirrel, I have a 20 gage and husband has a .22 or the 12 gage. I love squirrel hunting and I hope we get to do it a lot this year.
I haven't been out squirrel hunting for a few years either. Was just talking to my Dad on Sunday afternoon telling him how I was hoping to do a bit of that this year. He said hold on I'll get ya something. He came back to the living room a few minutes later with a single shot lever action 20 gauge and a box of ammo. He said this is my favorite gun and that he had got it when he was 12 years old (He's 59 now) and went on to tell a few squirrel hunting tales. He ended it with telling me his record day with this gun was 12 in a day and gave me the little challenge of seeing how I can do. I know just shooting one will put a smile on his face so I'm excited to do that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I will be working on that squirrel limit goal first, since the husband broke our crossbow trying to cock it in the pitch black and it will take a couple weeks to fix. Back to me and my trusty 20g for awhile...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts