The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Norteastern Pa. I only seen deer the first week, Passed on a nice 6 pointer the first day. Seen another small 6 & a few doe, 3 bear & a fisher. Scrape activity stopped (leaves over them) & no chasing yet. Our weather has been terrible here, Rainy & Very Windy for the most part!!!!

Bill

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Sounds like northwestern PA to a T so far...least my hill in it. Calling for colder temps, possible snow and a calendar flip all within the next week so if that does not trigger anything, I am going to get worried.

Nothing but does and 1.5ers spotted here so far.

I am pretty much canning the morning and evening hunt type day from here on out...now it is just hunt whenever I can in daylight.

Hunting Friday and Saturday with hopes something triggered while I have been working.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
sleepin all day and having a party at midnight is what they are doing. havent seen a mature buck up and out in daylight since like the third day. the best days to see a big buck during daylight hours are still ahead of us.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Haven't seen a mature buck since the first week of the season. Was skunked for the first time this week. The deer are hiding. Another week and the activity will increase.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
This is without doubt, the WEIRDEST season in probably 15 years for me. I have seen a whopping 2, count em 2 deer all season long in areas that perenially have me tagged out on a big doe and in hot pursuit of a couple bucks already. 99% of the activity I'm seeing since the opener till now is around 6:30 am (DARK) and just after legal light (DARK again). I'm sure they'll get going soon but I fear a very late rut this year...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Not seeing deer because there is no acorn crop this year. I see lots of deer standing along the roads and fields, but nothing in the woods. The trail cam in my yard is only getting night pictures. I found a large scrape the other day so I'll probably sit on that a few days.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
wildatheart said:
Not seeing deer because there is no acorn crop this year. I see lots of deer standing along the roads and fields, but nothing in the woods. The trail cam in my yard is only getting night pictures. I found a large scrape the other day so I'll probably sit on that a few days.
No acorns?! We had a BUMPER CROP last year and there are almost as many this year. The pin oak in my front yard has dropped so many I have to shovel them off the driveway or they get crushed and stain the concrete bron. I have FILLED 2 45 galon lawn/leaf bags with them so far and they're still dropping...

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
It`s a bad acorn crop up in Elk county near Hallton this year also. Between 2 of us, we have seen exactly 1 deer in the day time

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
5-C...some scrapes, no rubs. I've been out at least 6 times, I've seen a total of 3 does, all at a distance, had another blow at me for a good 45 seconds right before dark. My honey hole has pretty much dried up, last year was pretty bad, if things don't start looking up I will have to either move stands or look for a new spot. Shouldn't complain, at least I have a spot to hunt and some free time to pursue the obsession.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
In my neck of the woods, I'd say they're enjoying a respite from me and the kids sneaking in and out, LoL. We'll get after them more seriously this weekend, and next week.

But I am with 10der; "our" deer are spending an awful lot of time in the standing corn right now. And while new rubs are cropping up, the cams are showing that the action is still happening outside of legal shooting hours.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
I hunt a bunch of different places on the western half of the state and my observation is acorn mast is way down and the deer sightings are getting worse and worse. They may be related, but I think it has as much to do with over hunting. I may not even shoot a doe this year it has gotten that bad in the sightings. I was for the deer reduction for a few years, but it has gone way too far in my opinion.

·
Registered
720 Posts
No Central where I am hunting I am still seeing younger bucks still hanging out. The big bucks I saw all summer and first week of season have gone nocturnal. I did hear of one guy who On Tuesday heard one grunting like crazy so he answered him with a grunt and the deer came running to his tree. It was the last mistake he will make. 6 pt he figured 2 1/2 yr old

1 - 20 of 34 Posts