The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often see deer in grassy fields. And where roads run through heavily forested areas, like the Quehanna Highway, I often see deer at night in the grassy areas along the road.

Do deer eat grasses much? Or are they eating other plants growing along with the grasses? Maybe broad-leaved "weeds?" Do they eat goldenrod?

·
Registered
458 Posts
most deer I have gutted or helped gut have had corn in their belly,s around here, as some farmers leave some standing corn close the mountin and some plant turnips that they like. in very hard times they will eat just about any thing even larul. eastbank.

·
6,450 Posts
yes deer eat golden rod maybe not as the main course..... but i hunt over grown fields and have watched many snack on it on their way to the corn fields

·
Registered
877 Posts
Deer are in the "Goat" family - and as such will eat basically anything! Even fish and birds!!!!! and I wouldn't be surprised if they ate other small animals as well...... Don't believe me? Look it up.... I have personally watched a doe catch and eat a stocked trout in a very small side stream years back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Now that's funny.... a deer eatin' a trout. Maybe that's where all the grouse went..the deer ate em. :)
Deer eat clover..

·
Registered
877 Posts
Actually Rich R.... You may not be too far off with your sarcastic comment about the grouse. If I remember correctly, the PGC did a study once with nest cams and preditation. Everyone expected fox and raccoon to be the assassins of the baby bird world ( which they are ), but surprisingly, it was whitetail deer that was also high on that list..... I wish I had the link to the study still, i'd post it....
As for the trout; the doe actually chased it till in basically beached itself in really shallow water, then just picked it up in her mouth, walked up to the flat area, then ate it..... Up till then, I had never heard of such a thing, so it kinds scared me to watch it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry Majik...Wasn't trying to be sarcastic...I just tried to picture that whole thing in my "minds eye" and I thought it very weird..Now that I watched it, I'm blown away.

Pretty cold up there in Kane I would think ??

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
There is a hay field here near the house, that you seldom see a deer in throughout most of the year. But for a very short time in the spring, no more than a week, there are 30, 40 deer in there mornings and evenings. I have no idea what they are after in there, but it happens every spring just after green-up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Tiz alright Rich R, Not many people know about a deer's diet, much less believe me when I try telling them.... And yup, it's very cold here in Kane. Archery re-opens tomorrow, but it's so darn cold and snowy here, I may just wait till a break in the weather before hittin it. Deer move best when there's a weather change ( one way or the other ) anyway.
So, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Majik - I belong to the "Sygan Sportsmans Club" ..Off of Rt. 219 / 6..Old Bradford Rd. - Lantz's Corners.. I joined about 5-6 yrs ago so I would be closer to the ANF with better grouse hunting possibilities..Did not spend a lot of time in the area this year but the few times we did hunt, we found grouse numbers to be very low..
Just wondering if you had any observations.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Tiz alright Rich R, Not many people know about a deer's diet, much less believe me when I try telling them.... And yup, it's very cold here in Kane. Archery re-opens tomorrow, but it's so darn cold and snowy here, I may just wait till a break in the weather before hittin it. Deer move best when there's a weather change ( one way or the other ) anyway.
So, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Can't get them from the couch Bud!!! Go get 'em!!!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well Rich R., Truth be told, I seen very few grouse this year.... maybe like 10 max all season ( including the checking of trail cameras ). Not sure what is going on with the grouse numbers. Though I did actually see more deer this season than any other season over the past 13 years.....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
There is a hay field here near the house, that you seldom see a deer in throughout most of the year. But for a very short time in the spring, no more than a week, there are 30, 40 deer in there mornings and evenings. I have no idea what they are after in there, but it happens every spring just after green-up.
Might be feeding on fescue, if it's happening at the very early part of greenup. It's a cool season grass, so it gets an early start. They'll hit it when it's just getting started (tender, and presumably because it's some of the first green stuff available), but it toughens up quickly and they move on to other more palatable plants pretty quickly.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Might be feeding on fescue, if it's happening at the very early part of greenup. It's a cool season grass, so it gets an early start. They'll hit it when it's just getting started (tender, and presumably because it's some of the first green stuff available), but it toughens up quickly and they move on to other more palatable plants pretty quickly.
Very well could be. This happens very early in the spring.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I often see deer in grassy fields. And where roads run through heavily forested areas, like the Quehanna Highway, I often see deer at night in the grassy areas along the road.

Do deer eat grasses much? Or are they eating other plants growing along with the grasses? Maybe broad-leaved "weeds?" Do they eat goldenrod?
Stop and take a look at what they are eating some time. Grasses and goldenrod are not preferred but deer eat them. A lot of times those grassy fields have clover, birdsfoot trefoil, or crown vetch mixed with the grasses. Or they could be eating new growth "weeds" growing with the grasses. Stop and see what is there sometime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts