The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had big plans on going to the lake and trolling, but our plans were ended quickly when we got to the lake and it was about 80% covered with ice!! Lol. Guess I should have checked first. It was up about 6', so it was off to plan B. A place I knew from the past, when the lake is up the trout school there.

We started unloading, and it didn't fail. One idiot always has to come around. He pulls up, and with a snooty attitude says "you do know you can't fish here until next Saturday, right"? I smiled at him and continued on. He gets louder and meaner, "hey, you can't fish here today"! I turned around, at this point he is lucky kids are with me. I say "what part do you want me to correct you on??" Then I say "you aren't only wrong in one aspect, but you are wrong TWICE. First off, this water is approved trout water open to YEAR ROUND FISHING. Second, it is MY trout day". He tells me I am wrong, so I pulled my phone out and showed him. He says "oh, I made those people down there leave". I said he was a great person and walked away. This is kind of like following people legally fishing the SE MY trying to police whether or not they catch the goldens legally, and harassing them while they lawfully fish....

Upon arrival with my 12yr old niece and 5yr old daughter it was a murky green/tan color, which I thought was perfect. Powerbait was the theme for most of the day. They love putting it on, and it just plain works. Nice easy spot to fish for the kids, as the casts are only 10' Or so. It was instant, as soon as it hit the water on the first cast they caught fish. Only about 15 minutes in, my kids rod starts to bend and the drag starts going. She picks it up and I see the colored monster swirl on top and immediately take her into the brush. My niece grabs the pole with her and somehow they get it out using just a 4lb leader. They fight it for a few minutes, and now it's my turn to land it. They get it to the bank three times and I kept dropping it!! Lol. Finally I grab it and pick it up. A beautiful 22", 4lb 4oz hooked jaw golden!! What a start!!

There was no telling them it wasn't coming home.

Doubles were the theme for the day. It was hook up after hook up all day.

I couldn't believe how many brookies they caught, as this lake is stocked with rainbows.

Then, the unthinkable. My daughter's pole starts thumping again, she pulls up and start fighting and obviously bigger fish. It swirls. ANOTHER golden!! This one only came in at 17 1/2" though. It was hooked deep and bleeding badly. While I don't know if my daughter would have willingly released it, it didn't matter. It would have died anyway.

Here are a couple of more pics of some of the rainbows. They lost two bows well over 20" as well.

Their last one of the day.

After a full day of fishing we went through 3 jars of powerbait, a container of butter worms and night crawlers, a few spinners, and a bunch of hooks, they had landed well over 100 fish. I also caught 14 tossing spinners on the walk back out. Saw three other groups fishing. One mom with two kids and two dad's with two kids each. Guess they didn't get the memo to have 15 adults fishing with each kid, and have them fight over fish.

What an awesome day with two amazing kids!!!! Thank you PFBC for allowing this low pressure day for these kids to practice, learn and just plain have fun!!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish I would have known more people in the area that wanted to fish with their.kids. I would have gladly taken them here. The entire section was filled with trout.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
He pulls up, and with a snooty attitude says "you do know you can't fish here until next Saturday, right"? I smiled at him and continued on.
You could have simply replied: "Today is Mentored Youth Day. It's new this year."

It might have gone better. He may have genuinely thought that the season was still closed, and that he was doing you a favor, saving you the possibility of a fine from a WCO.

Congrats on the fishing success. I went over a bridge on Bald Eagle Creek yesterday and saw no fishermen. The creek was high, swift, and off color, but I was surprised to see no one at all.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
troutbert said:
Hunterknapp16 said:
He pulls up, and with a snooty attitude says "you do know you can't fish here until next Saturday, right"? I smiled at him and continued on.
You could have simply replied: "Today is Mentored Youth Day. It's new this year."

It might have gone better. He may have genuinely thought that the season was still closed, and that he was doing you a favor, saving you the possibility of a fine from a WCO.

Congrats on the fishing success. I went over a bridge on Bald Eagle Creek yesterday and saw no fishermen. The creek was high, swift, and off color, but I was surprised to see no one at all.
It has been open to year round fishing for ever. My point is people shouldn't try to enforce the law if they don't know it. After I politely corrected him he became even more ignorant and aggitated. Pretty good chance he does this to people all the time so they can't catch trout there. Only reason I could see him patrolling around it.

Thanks for the kind comments!!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more funny thing about the guy. He kept pointing to the board that has fishing seasons posted on it too, and said that the season is posted there. Right below it is the sign saying it is open year round. Lol. He knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
One more funny thing about the guy. He kept pointing to the board that has fishing seasons posted on it too, and said that the season is posted there. Right below it is the sign saying it is open year round. Lol. He knew what he was doing.
Don't worry about it. You were in the right and who cares what anyone else thinks.

Great job to those kids. I kinda like seeing those goldens go home with kids instead of adults.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glad you had a great day fishing with the kids, that is what the MY program is about.

they had landed well over 100 fish. I also caught 14 tossing spinners on the walk back out. Saw three other groups fishing. One mom with two kids and two dad's with two kids each.
Only issue I have is I am not a big fan of catch and release since to many of the fish die after they are returned due to the way they were handled. I just feel if the PAF&B really wanted to support the MY fishing they should limit it to a more hardy and cheaper fish than trout.
IS it really fair that the adults who need to wait till next week to fish and plunked down 31.40 to fish for trout that you hooked that many fish?
As a kid growing up we learned to fish catching pumpkin seeds and catfish and any water containing stocked trout were closed for almost a month while the fish spread out.

Again I support a MY program and definitely feel its great to get the kids out, I just think it should be during the season with a special stocking of tagged fish where the kids could also win prizes.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MountainGable said:
Glad you had a great day fishing with the kids, that is what the MY program is about.

they had landed well over 100 fish. I also caught 14 tossing spinners on the walk back out. Saw three other groups fishing. One mom with two kids and two dad's with two kids each.
Only issue I have is I am not a big fan of catch and release since to many of the fish die after they are returned due to the way they were handled. I just feel if the PAF&B really wanted to support the MY fishing they should limit it to a more hardy and cheaper fish than trout.
IS it really fair that the adults who need to wait till next week to fish and plunked down 31.40 to fish for trout that you hooked that many fish?
As a kid growing up we learned to fish catching pumpkin seeds and catfish and any water containing stocked trout were closed for almost a month while the fish spread out.

Again I support a MY program and definitely feel its great to get the kids out, I just think it should be during the season with a special stocking of tagged fish where the kids could also win prizes.
First off, I didn't hook one of these fish. Second, I paid my $31.40, bought all three of my kids voluntary license for $2.70 each (even though 2 couldn't fish yesterday) and bought my 3 niece's and nephew's $2.70 license even though 2 of them couldn't fish. This is also a water opened to year round fishing, like stated, so anyone can catch these same fish with just a regular license with no trout stamp yesterday or any day. So even without the MY day we could have caught these fish. We kept three that were bleeding badly. I flattened all barbs on the hooks (which is probably why they lost those two big bows), and any fish hooked any depth inside its mouth was immediately cut off. We caught two trout with our hooks in them that I cut off. Lol.there were zero floaters at the end of the day and none splashing around either. The ones I caught were on the way back to the truck.

It was very fair for adults. All they had to do was take a kid fishing. It was a 100% opportunity for everyone.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
MountainGable said:

Can we get off the MY debate thing??? If you want to debate it more than it has already been, then start a new thread.
But for Pete's sake LEAVE IT OFF THE PHOTO AND SUCCESS THREADS!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huntered said:
The smiles on there faces says it all. Are you getting the Golden mounted ?
Those smiles sure do!! No mount for the fish. They are already eaten. Lol. I wouldn't keep one just to mount. Clear side photo and length and girth measurements are all you need. Pictures work for us for fish. Lol. The 2nd one would have been released if it wasn't bleeding so bad. We made the rounds and showed that first one to everyone at lunch time. Haha. My daughter has also caught one bigger during the local youth trout derby.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kudu58 said:
MountainGable said:

Can we get off the MY debate thing??? If you want to debate it more than it has already been, then start a new thread.
But for Pete's sake LEAVE IT OFF THE PHOTO AND SUCCESS THREADS!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, and everyone wonders where all of the success threads and pictures have gone. Hmmmm....

I believe it was trout that commented on the locked MY thread that we have issues because not one success pic was posted, just complaining and ridiculing the program. Well, you see why people didn't post pics or share their stories?? I don't blame them.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You know, I was really hoping that all this back and forth would stop once people saw kids having fun with trout. Seriously? And comments like this aren't any better:

Great job to those kids. I kinda like seeing those goldens go home with kids instead of adults.
You know what? It's inflammatory. It makes people angry. The kids had a good day, leave it at that. And not just you kudu, I'm not singling you out. This crap seriously needs to stop. It's pretty bad when a dad can't take his kids out without an internet war starting over the success!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts