The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can never figure out why the 6.5 's don't catch on here in this country . seems there doomed before they start..despite the fact that they are the shining stars in many benchrest comp. in my opinion the little 6.5x55 or 260 rem would be the ultimate whiteail rifle. giving the edge to the 6.5x55 which has a tad more case capacity and a tad longer neck for seating those long 6.5 bullets. factory loads for the old swede are grossly anemic, due to the fact of old surplus military guns still floating around in this caliber..but with strong modern bolt action rifles and handloading it's knocking on the door of the bigger cal's like the 270 with less powder and a bullet with a B.C (ballistic coefficient)that no 270 bullet can match...i can't figure it

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Me neither, I love the 6.5's from the 264 Winnie to the Swede.

The 6.5 bullet carries a high sectional density which in turn provides great penetration and expansion but with a lot less shoulder abuse than most, no wonder the Swede is used extensively for moose and stag across the pond!!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have been seeing lots of 6.5 Swede and 6.5 Arisakas
at gunshows lately. I see a 264WM every now and then,
and hardly ever see 260 REMs anywhere, even new ones.
I picked up a custom 6.5 Arisaka last year but havent
even shot it yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm extremely happy with the .260 I bought for my son's first deer rifle. I was skeptical at first and I was really wanting to get him a .243. However when I found a m7 youth in .260 I could not pass up the deal. The shop said he had it two years and he discounted it because it wasn't moving. Initially I was worried because ammo was hard to find and seemed to only 140gn rem cor-lockts available at roughly 25 to 30 dollars a box. Now after two years of reloading for it I fully appreciate the calibers flexibility. I can load it down to 100gn spire points to replicate the .243 in recoil, or take it way up with 140's. My son got his first buck this year with the 100gn spire points on the mentored youth program, and as one would expect he loves the rifle now!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up a Mod. 7 chambered in .260 when Remington started producing them a few years back. It is, unquestionably, my favorite rifle. I'd always had a thing for the 6.5X55 but was afraid its popularity (of lack of) here might make it tougher to obtain reload materials, parts etc. The .260 hasnt really fared any better. People are afraid of change....me, I wouldnt get rid of that gun for any amount of money...I love it that much. 140gn. handloaded tackdrivers in that gun are THE pill for whitetails!

·
Registered
995 Posts
When I shoot out my 25-06 it might just become a 6.5-06. More than likely though I will just get another action to build the 6.5 on.

Part of the reason that they don't catch on is because there is a stupid rule in this state and other states that makes them illegal for hunting elk sized game. Like a 160 grain bullet going 2850 is going to bounce off an elk.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
For years, the problem with 6.5's was the lack of good bullets. There has been a tremendous resurgence of 6.5 recently, mostly in long range benchrest, with the 6.5-284 perhaps at top of the list, and the 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5-47 coming on strong. The .260 Rem and 6.5X55 began the ball rolling, and I suspect more are coming in the next few years. Can the .270 be far behind???

·
Registered
483 Posts
I got a 260 Model 7 back in 1997 when the caliber first came out. I absolutely love it..The caliber combined with short lightweight gun make it absolutely perfect for PA Whitetail hunting. I have killed quite a few deer with it and all but one dropped. The one that didnt drop on the spot only ran 65 yards then dropped. The gun has plenty of knockdown power with little recoil.

It hasnt ever caught on though. I think partially due to the 243 and the 7mm 08 being so close to it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My fiance uses a Ruger Compact in .260. She has shot 4 deer in the last three years with that rifle. I had her buy it because I was intrigued by the caliber. I might get one my self one day, but it is hard to justify when I own a .243 and a 7mm-08.

Will

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It's that same old thing...I remember one of the presidents proclaiming that by sometime in the early 80's the USA would completely convert over to the dreaded word METRIC SYSTEM..here we are 30-40 years later and we've takem a few steps but not many..other than the 7mmRemington Magnum the vast majority have been dudds after a short time..I think it's just America Hardheadedness...prediction,it'll never ever change either!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I think the 6.5 and the 7mm are probably two of the best bullets for whitetail deer.
yep, the 260 Rem is the ultimate whitetail cartridge. Of course the 30-30 is second to that.

I believe that the WW-2 vets had a problem with anything german or euro sounding...metric. It has carried over. O'connor pushed the 270, when a 6.5-06 or the 6.5x55 would have made more sense.

I'm ammazed at all the great barrels on the m98s that people screwed off in the 1950s and '60s, to put on cheap quality '06 barrel. go figure!

·
Registered
638 Posts
when i get off my 308 kick i'm gonna build a few 6.5's

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my thoughts exactly...my next rifle build is going to be a 6.5x55 on a kevlar stock..hard to imagine a better PA deer rifle

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I own 2 6.5's and love them both, I have another in the works. my first is a 260 rem with a medium weight barrel, with handloads it consistantly shoots one hole groups at 100 yards. I have found the I get better accuracy is I neck down either federal gold metal 308 brass or my favorite is the x118 military sniper brass necked down.
my second is a 6.5 rem mag with a 8 twist for heavier bullets, although not as accurate as my 260 I wouldnt expect it to be with all the things I have done to my 260. the 6.5 mag will shoot under 1" also.
lastly, I am currrently looking at a donor 700 action and I wanted a 6.8 spc chamber but now I have changed my mind again and it too will be a 260 mountain rifle weight but I may make it a 260 ackley just to be different.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I have a Ruger 77VT in 6.5 Creedmoor. Best shooting rifle I've ever owned and flattened a nice buck for me this year. 129gr Hornady SST. I may move up to 140s just because the BC is higher.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
My 5# 13oz 260 is great and groups 5 shot under 1" at 100 yards if I do my part, zero kick.

Can't think of a better rifle for PA deer. Also has knock your socks of wood.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had my Sako 6.5x55 out for the first time this weekend. It shot a 3 shot group with all bullet holes touching at 100 yards. I love the caliber and the history behind it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ruger is chambering the 77 hawkeye in 6.5 creedmore right? standard rifle, but with a 26" tube is it a sporter weight barrel or a heavy varmint barrel?...what do you guy's know about the creedmore velocity ect..?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
hey, dont tell anyone how efficient and deadly they are we will have less deer. I have been playing with the 260 for 6 years now very impressed. i load it up with 100 grain nosler ballistic tip out of my rem. model 7 and very nasty on deer. I dont think any i have killed moved out of there tracks. the 6.5 are around you just dont hang out with the right crowd and im not being a smartazz saying that. the 6.5 x 284 is coming on strong with many wildcatters and savage actually factory chambering it. I think it stinks remington dont even promote there own caliber, thinking you can only get it in the model 7. Like the 6mm remington and they push the 243 winchester make sence? If you know what the 6.5's does , heck keep it to yourself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts