The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in the trapping forum, but know seemed to know so I thought I would try here.

During deer season to dispatch animals you have to use a .22 but what about the rest of the time? Would a .36 Cap and ball revolver be legal. And could a light enough powder load be used that it would not cause much damage to the head? I'm just wondering, I'll probably still keep using my .22 revolver, but I thought it would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
That's a good question. I think it would be fine except in areas where it's rimfire only. Let's hear what the experts have to say.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I don't believe it would be legal. The firearm .22 cal is
for all season not just during deer season.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
It isn't legal for hunting large or small game, except groundhogs. Outside firearms deer season, it would be legal for coyote.

I would expect that it might burn the fur if you are closer than 3 feet.

·
Registered
653 Posts
corey22 said:
I don't believe it would be legal. The firearm .22 cal is
for all season not just during deer season.
Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but is it?

This is in the book
To dipatch trapped animals during deer season, trappers are limited to a manually operated 22 caliber or smaller rimfire.
Doesn't say anything about what to use outa season

·
Registered
210 Posts
If its a cap & ball revolver its not legal for any season on any game because they are not "muzzle loading".

For trapping, you are limited to .22cal rimfire manually operated handguns and rifles.

·
Registered
210 Posts
brubincam said:
pepperbox is muzzle loaded
Some are, which may be legal for small game depending on other game season overlaps.

22hipower said:
CAN I Use a .36 CAl for small game?
Yes, but see above about possible season overlaps.

·
Registered
819 Posts
emailed the game commission ask about cap and ball revolver for small game .got reply back today email said they are legal if .40 cal and under

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Over on another forum, WCO RW said he agrees with what the regional office and the email told 22 HI power. What gives?

Technically they don't load from the MUZZLE and folks are being told verbally and in emails that they are legal if under 40 cal. The technical reading of the law/regulation is that centerfire rifle or handgun under 23 cal, certain rimfires, fine shot and MUZZLEloaders 40 cal and under.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Still beating that dead nag are you.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Apparently the PGC doesn't think it is so dead

Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:47 PM
To: GM, Comments
Subject: cap and ball revolver for hunting

can I use a cap and ball revolver for small game hunting ? for squirrel or rabbit? could I please have an answer to this question? thank you

To: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 08:23:34 -0400
Subject: FW: cap and ball revolver for hunting
Yes, you may, provided it is less than 40-caliber:

§ 141.22. Small game.
(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:
(3) A muzzleloading rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .40 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

So what gives John??? Legal or not, they defintiely DO NOT load from the MUZZLE? Now we are told they ARE muzzleloaders? Guess the dead horse just got up and ran off.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is what their interpretation of them is, unless you spend your life getting your knockers in a knot over minutia.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
You mean like citing a guy because his FO hat has a Remington Logo on the Front? Minutia! When the PGC slurs over the statutes and regs it is apparently fine.

I seem to recall your response to a post about a Pope muzzleloading centerfire rifle saying a hunter using it would be cited. Given the more serious nature of the offenses and penalties now, minutia becomes even more important. Cap and Ball revolvers, (except the Ethan Allen style pepperboxes) such as the Colts, do not and never have and were never designed to be loaded from the MUZZLE. It would be dangerous to do so. I suppose it was minutia when thhe PGC outlawed centerfire guns for small game and two months later the Game news had an article about the perfect centerfire rifle for squirrels.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Watch your blood preasure there Zimm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts