The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

What a deal

6K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  dpms 
#1 ·
Cabelas Ravin® Crossbows R29 Crossbow Package $2499.00

My first new car cost less..

#10 ·
The end users of such items will dictate what the market will withstand. There are crossbows in many price ranges.
The R29 is a flagship model, and although folks like myself will not be buying one--time will tell as to sales numbers, and stability of the company. I would honestly think--with the following these things have--they'll sell, but just not to me.

#11 ·
I like Excalibur's new assassin 420 TD.$1800 keeps me out of the running though.I just can't justify that amount of money when my Exocet 200 shoots through deer every time.I bought it new years ago on Ebay as a left over model for less than $300 shipped.I would bet people would take a loan or make credit card payments for hunting equipment though like a high end crossbow,compound or rifle.

#13 ·
I own an Excalibur Matrix 380, and did some work to tone down noise, and a different trgger--it's a deer slaying machine. I see no need to upgrade but like the newest offering from them also.
Again back to the R29---with my current situation, and what I have--I'll keep my Excalibur--easy to work on, and keep after.

#14 · (Edited)
the PGC can follow this marketing strategy. they can have the standard yellow license and they can have a newer cooler looking license, like a 2.0 version, an upgrade.

with the 2.0 version for 20 or 25.00 more, you can hunt on Sundays, for 30.00 more you can hunt on Sundays and use a SA Rifle for big game. that would never work as people would complain that others are getting more for their money.

#17 ·
As was said there are several flagship models coming in at $2000.00 plus. Ten Point, Raven, Scorpyd to name a couple.
These crossbows require maintainance on a regular basis if shot a lot. However for most folks they get it shot in--hunt, and then put it away for the year. I have personally seen these narrow limb designs wear components fast. They also can have limb issues due to design. Thats all ok though because the way these newer modern crossbows perform is amazing. Speed, power, and accuracy that is great. As I said previously--If the masses are willing to shell out the money that means they see value, or value as they see it in the product. As with most any vertical, or crossbow that is a brand new model--well the price tags are usually pretty spicey to say the least, and in many cases people will pay the price. The fact that people like me don't need, or want to upgrade isn't the point--I'm only one guy. I know guys who swap out bows like normal people change under clothes. It's all about what each individual wants.
I've said this before, but will state this again:
Any product--no matter what it is--is worth exactly what a specific individual is willing to pay for it.
It's exactly the same with the new R29, and other flagship offerings. One guy or more may look at it, and say--there is no way I'd pay that much for a crossbow. Then into the shop walks a guy--has his heart set on it, sees value in the product, and walks out the door with it, and has no problem being able to afford it. That person was willing to pay the asking price because they saw an item they wanted, and it was a must have for them. We are all different with different wants, and wallet thicknesses.

#18 ·
I agree.I just don,t see it bein successful in the long run with declinin hunter participation.I don,t think they can sell enough at that price point to survive.It ain,t like Ten Point for example that has a lower priced WR line to sell in higher numbers to put money in the bank.Plus I too see them havin longevity and higher maintenance cost issues that the average Joe ain,t gonna want to do with.It ain,t like they our offerin a good warranty either.That to me would also be a big deal breaker.

#24 ·
It's like anything these days. Buy a $1500 refrigerator and if it blows up after your generous 1 yr. warranty, those folks who made it and sold it got no problem with you having to shell out another $1500 to replace it. Drives the economy.

#20 · (Edited)
I am an Excalibur fan boy but $1800 for a recurve crossbow. Drop it to $1300 I would probably buy one. I also don't need an expensive canvas case and the ability to take the front off and twist it right back on. JMO Just saw they came out with the Bulldog 440 interesting crossbow.

#21 ·
As I said on a previous post I used a borrowed R 15 to take 2 out of state bucks this year, I was very impress and thought about buying the R 20.

However, my current thinking is I will continue to hunt with my proven compound during the warmer weather and switch back to my current Barnett on the cold days that give me a problem pulling my compound bow back.

Since going to the crossbow as needed I have taken two nice bucks one in PA and one in OH. If I was younger or had plans to hunt big game out west, I would opt fo the R 20, but of course if I could still hunt with my compound bow in any weather, I would stay with it.

I have been using thunderheads on my compound for many years with continued success so I have used them on my crossbow grouping to forty yards; however I purchase a pkg. of Rage to test on my Barnett hopping to get good results in accuracy also. If I am not happy I plan to upgrade my scope to check the results. I really don't believe spending the money will increase my success.

I have learned over the years spending big bucks does not necessary guarantee big results. As for the last 10+ years I leave my expensive 12 ga. turkey guns home to now take turkey's with my $300.00 20. ga.

#22 ·
I have learned over the years spending big bucks does not necessary guarantee big results. As for the last 10+ years I leave my expensive 12 ga. turkey guns home to now take turkey's with my $300.00 20. ga.

Say Whaaatttt ???

you cant kill no bird with a 20 gauge, especially one that inexpensive !! :grin2:

(my wife killed hers with a 20ga and #7 trap loads)

#23 ·
The newer crossbows are following a similar trend that the vertical bows did--the facination, and the chasing of more speed.
However with the crossbow it seems people want a narrow design. We all know many that are new to the crossbow are also using firearms. People want a croassbow that is not unweildy, and cumbersome as compared to the crossbows of not many years ago.
Then we also have the reverse draw concept where we can have a little long draw cycle , all while keeping poundage reasonable.
The big thing I have seen, and it stands to reason here folks--when you attempt to get all that power out of those narrow limbs--that's a lot of penned up energy, and it wears hard, and fast on the limbs, cam/wheel axles, strings, and buss cables. It's a no brainer that these designs are going to require much higher maintainance due to design. There is a price to pay for not just in the purchase, butkeeping after the bow itself. If one likes to shoot a lot then you better be prepared to spend money on strings, and buss cables, and any other parts if something goes wrong--and it will.
In our modern world today when I look at the newest offerings in vertical, and crossbows I shake my head. I can honestly say I never dreamed I'd see pricing where it is now. The great thing is that one doesn't have to shoot for the stratosphere when buying a new, or for that matter a used model. When it's all said, and done, and you are placing the tag on the game you just recovered--the animal doesn't know, nor did it care what was used--the job is done.
We all have to live within our means, or at least we should be. Taking out loans, making credit card payments at high interest rates in order to buy, or obtain hunting equipment can be VERY dangerous, and I highly suggest folks do not do this.
We all have to keep our finances, and priorities in our households first in our minds.
There is absolutely nothng wrong in admitting, and facing the fact that for many of us all this high end hunting gear is simply out of reach for normal working class people.

#28 ·
When I truly contemplate the prices on flagship model bows, and crossbows we have reached a point of what some custom made items such as long, and recurves are at. We are stepping into custom center fire rifle pricing.
When one is at, or near $3000.00 for a production crossbow I truly wonder if the market can take that. I have given this all some serious thought, and I'm sorry, but prices of nearing $3000.00 is absurd.

#29 ·
As much as everyone complains I bet those xbows will be hard to get since they will probably sale out right away then be available later. Not everyone has money issues. I'm not one of them but I won't knock a guy for buying a $3000 xbow vs a guy who would spend the same or more equivocally on a antique firearm that never gets used. If I could afford one I'd get it but I'd rather go on a moose/bear hunt for roughly the same coin.

#31 ·
Here's the thing though. Spending money on an antique "collectable" type rifle--In a few years one will not take a loss in the money spent. The fire arm will hold good value over time. At least this is the trend for now.
Now--lets take that crossbow, or bow---it will quickly loose value. Several years down the road the $3000 grand one spent is gone, perhaps you're happy with what you bought, but you will never get that money back as the value of archery tackle decreases by a huge margin.
I as many have no problem with those who can, and will spend that kind of money for a new crossbow, or vertical bow. I am happy with, and for them, and by no means jealous of the fact others can throw money around as they please. It is after all their money, and how they spend is really none of my business.
However for me I look at things differently---for the money amount I spend I must see a value for the dollars handed over. I am not seeing that at all when I spend almost $3000 on a bow, and a couple years down the line I see them listed on Ebay for half, or less than half what I paid for it.
I will stand by my idea--$3000 is absurd.

#35 ·
You are very well right in your thoughts on this.
In the end--it really doesn't matter what I, or others think. Each person will define how much value they place on certain items, and what they will pay for them.
We could compare old guns, old cars--and drag this on, and on, but in the end other people, and their money, how they spend it is really none of my business.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.