The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
yep...7-8 hundred for a new compound or gun, maybe a thousand or more for a crossbow or gun, but never a dime more for a hunting license....LOL

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
With good reason.
What would be the good reason? I can't think of a reasonable one let alone a good one. Unless of course you are a cheapskate and want to hunt for practically nothing! Have you gone over 20 years without an increase in your income? I doubt it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The end users of such items will dictate what the market will withstand. There are crossbows in many price ranges.
The R29 is a flagship model, and although folks like myself will not be buying one--time will tell as to sales numbers, and stability of the company. I would honestly think--with the following these things have--they'll sell, but just not to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,620 Posts
I like Excalibur's new assassin 420 TD.$1800 keeps me out of the running though.I just can't justify that amount of money when my Exocet 200 shoots through deer every time.I bought it new years ago on Ebay as a left over model for less than $300 shipped.I would bet people would take a loan or make credit card payments for hunting equipment though like a high end crossbow,compound or rifle.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I own an Excalibur Matrix 380, and did some work to tone down noise, and a different trgger--it's a deer slaying machine. I see no need to upgrade but like the newest offering from them also.
Again back to the R29---with my current situation, and what I have--I'll keep my Excalibur--easy to work on, and keep after.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
the PGC can follow this marketing strategy. they can have the standard yellow license and they can have a newer cooler looking license, like a 2.0 version, an upgrade.

with the 2.0 version for 20 or 25.00 more, you can hunt on Sundays, for 30.00 more you can hunt on Sundays and use a SA Rifle for big game. that would never work as people would complain that others are getting more for their money.

·
Registered
525 Posts
As was said there are several flagship models coming in at $2000.00 plus. Ten Point, Raven, Scorpyd to name a couple.
These crossbows require maintainance on a regular basis if shot a lot. However for most folks they get it shot in--hunt, and then put it away for the year. I have personally seen these narrow limb designs wear components fast. They also can have limb issues due to design. Thats all ok though because the way these newer modern crossbows perform is amazing. Speed, power, and accuracy that is great. As I said previously--If the masses are willing to shell out the money that means they see value, or value as they see it in the product. As with most any vertical, or crossbow that is a brand new model--well the price tags are usually pretty spicey to say the least, and in many cases people will pay the price. The fact that people like me don't need, or want to upgrade isn't the point--I'm only one guy. I know guys who swap out bows like normal people change under clothes. It's all about what each individual wants.
I've said this before, but will state this again:
Any product--no matter what it is--is worth exactly what a specific individual is willing to pay for it.
It's exactly the same with the new R29, and other flagship offerings. One guy or more may look at it, and say--there is no way I'd pay that much for a crossbow. Then into the shop walks a guy--has his heart set on it, sees value in the product, and walks out the door with it, and has no problem being able to afford it. That person was willing to pay the asking price because they saw an item they wanted, and it was a must have for them. We are all different with different wants, and wallet thicknesses.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I agree.I just don,t see it bein successful in the long run with declinin hunter participation.I don,t think they can sell enough at that price point to survive.It ain,t like Ten Point for example that has a lower priced WR line to sell in higher numbers to put money in the bank.Plus I too see them havin longevity and higher maintenance cost issues that the average Joe ain,t gonna want to do with.It ain,t like they our offerin a good warranty either.That to me would also be a big deal breaker.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
if the bow costs two grand those limbs aren't cheap if they blow apart. ravins only have a 5 year limited warranty. put some money in the bank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I am an Excalibur fan boy but $1800 for a recurve crossbow. Drop it to $1300 I would probably buy one. I also don't need an expensive canvas case and the ability to take the front off and twist it right back on. JMO Just saw they came out with the Bulldog 440 interesting crossbow.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts