The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
One fall I took my final day of vacation to archery hunt in OH. When I woke up it was sprinkling, on the drive the intensity of the rain increased and when I got in my tree stand it poured and you guessed it...I had no rain gear.

I was setting on a fresh scrape I found the day before and I was not going to leave no matter what....Then the temperature began to drop by 20 degrees plus, then sleet followed by snow then a brisk wind. I spent most of my movement shivering which was good because it kept shaking the snow from my knocked arrow. I took my shirt off and ranged out the water to see steam coming off my chest. I was wet to the core. I think I was saved from hypothermia only by the ice layer on my outer wear.

I sat there from an hour before day light until after dark.....And you guessed it I never saw a deer within range; however, there were a group of deer that came into a stand of pine trees to be out of the wind and snow. Of course I could only see tails every now and then and they were 30 yards out I guess because it was snowing so hard it was hard to see 10 yards at times and my eyes were shivering at a high rate.

Anyway I promised myself many times that day.... for Christmas I would buy myself the best most expensive rain gear made and I did...In those day it was waterproof Treebark, thinsalate wool...and it sure it works as I was able to sit in the woods many many more cold rainy days and see nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts