The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good .41 magnum load for deer hunting and all around use? Will be using a S&W model 57.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Most use a 210 gr HP. I know quite a few that used a lighter bullet, but I don't see the point.

I would read the reviews on some of the ammo distributors. Midwayusa, Cabelas, bass pro..you get the idea.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
210 grainers are pretty much as good as it gets in that particular cartridge. I use all grizzly cartridge loads myself, they make some heavy hitting loads. Good luck!

Mac

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You can find some pretty heavy stuff out there from buffalo bore, grizzly and the like, but for deer the 210gr loads lead the way IMO. I've found there is a good bit of variability in MV between different makers in the 41. For hunting, I'd shop around for the loads with a little extra.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a 41 in a 657 with the 8 3/8 barrel 4x Burris on it.
I've shot a couple deer and a bunch of groundhogs with my 41 and I didn't like the performance of the 210 gr. bullets. I tried the XTP hand loaded to 1345 fps. with 22.3 of H 110 and the factory Federal 210 HP. Both just punched a hole deer without a great wound channel in the lungs but did exit. I had ground hogs make it 30 feet to their holes shot through the ribs. My favorite all around load is the Sierra 170 gr. going out at 1450 fps. with 21.5 of Accurate #9. It clover leafs at 75 yrds. and destroys hogs. The wound channel on deer is great. The only drawback is it sometimes does not exit.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ciscokid55 said:
What is a good .41 magnum load for deer hunting and all around use? Will be using a S&W model 57.
ah, the .41 stinks on deer. Might as well give up. I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands. How much you want for your 57?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm in line with the other 210 grain, jacket soft point works for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts