The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that own a .357, what make/model do you own and why did you choose that particular one? What is its main use, hunting, self-defense, target shooting, etc?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
S&W 686 Stainless 4" - I choose it because its a proven design, built like a tank, S&W beautiful, and will hold its value. Main uses is hunting, targets shooting, self defense it's just the right size to do it all IMO. Granted a smaller size would shine as a carry weapon and a larger size would shine as a target/hunting rig. Being in the middle makes it the jack of all trades.

·
Registered
135 Posts
taurus 4" stainless steel. I can't recall the model#, but it is an older model that was a straight copy of a smith and wesson design. I chose it because it was cheap to buy. Its main use is to be carried while out deer hunting and hiking. I made up some snake loads that I usually carry in it as I find Copperheads in many of the areas I hunt or hike. I find the gun too large for what it does for me; a j-frame or SP101 sized wheelgun with 3"bbl. would suit me better. I really like the Taurus Tracker model that my father carries (except for the porting) because it is built on a medium-sized frame.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
S&W mod 686 with a 4 inch barrel, it served me well or over 20 years as my duty gun. I don't use it much any more, my hunting hand gun is a .45 colt and my carry guns are all smaller for concealment.

·
Registered
671 Posts
A Monson Mass made Dan wesson model 15-6
It is a little heavier than a SW 686 with the same barrel.
It is a great hunting, target, defence wheel gun. I have a 4 inch barrle for it as well, and used to have a 10 inch barrel, but since I hardly ever used the 10 in, I sold it a while back.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Stainless Ruger 6" GP 100. General protection, home security and plinking. Would like to take a deer with it though if I can ever shoot it accurately enough.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Smith 19 6", Smith 686 7 shot (With red dot), and a Smith 66 2". All have their time and place to be on my side.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Colt King Cobra 4" stainless, got a great deal on it had the chance to trade on a S&W 19 pre lock with all the T's and didnt I could kick myself now.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
S&W 586 6" barrel. Bought about 2 weeks after I turned 21.

Have taken a fall turkey, deer, and a few groundhogs with it. Now is mostly a plinker... As smooth of a double action trigger I ever owned. Very accurate to boot...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts