The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else doing it? WOW. I just took my first batch out of my cheap harbor freight tumbler and they honestly look better than new. I am glad I spent the $70 and started this. If you are looking to start tumbling, this is the way to go!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Harbor freight rock tumbler, stainless steel media, dish detergent and lemishine. Cleans primer pockets spotless inside of the cases shine like the outside. The outside is extremely shiny and smooth.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Can you tell us a little bit more on wet tumbling. I have a rock tumbler, used corn material but never seems to polish the brass very well. I have never heard of steel media either. Thanks,
Kapaa

·
Registered
715 Posts
How long do you let it run, I've heard good reports on the steel media. I use an Ultrasonic cleaner, it isn't real fast but does a great job. Post a couple pictures of the primer pocket and inside of the case if you don't mind.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Like most shooters I like clean brass...I've been out of the BR game for awhile now but I distinctly remember no one ever tumbling brass, only cleaning primer pockets after sizing, first cleaning necks with Nevr Dull then brushing the inside of necks prior to sizing/decapping...

Have things changed?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Bob, I don't know if you can say things changed. I do just like you mentioned each and everytime except I use 0000 steel wool on the necks. about every 4th or 5th firing I run them though the ultrasonic cleaner. I good shooter I know and sat with during the World Open last year asked If it made me shoot better, I told him I didn't know but it certainly didn't make things worse. Annealing seems to be a big change and that does help. Neck Tension is so much more consistant, I do that about every 3rd firing and know some guys that do it everytime.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
The thinking back in the day was that steel wooling necks was verboten because of the uneven polishing/wear, miniscule at it was, being detrimental to maintaining neck dimension...

As you know BR shooters are completely [censored] about eliminating all variables/inconsistencies with their ability to do so!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I get a few looks when I clean necks at a match and a comment here and there, but not too many. I think the point blank guys are more of a purist than I am in some respects. cleaning with steel wool hasn't seemed to effect the accuracy out of my guns, although if nevrdull dull cleans the carbon off just as good I think I'll switch. Steel wool lets little pieces inside the case, which I blow out with air.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get rid of the steel wool and media tumblers. This is the way to go. I will post before and after pics tonight around 9 oclock.

Run time is 3-4 hours. Only downfall is you can only do 2 pounds of brass at a time which is around 70 pcs of 270/30/06. 58 pcs of 300 win mag.

harbor freight will be busy after you see this.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Skeeter where did you get the stainless steel media? From the reports I've heard using stainless media it the way to go.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here is the second batch I ran and they keep getting gooder and gooder. here are before and after pics. I am not sure if I can put links on here to where I got the media. Pm me and I will tell you. The tumbler is from harbor freight. on sale for $50 - 20% coupon = $40. I ended up getting the two year replacement for $10, so we are at $50. Media was $30 for 2.5 pounds (you need 2 pounds) Dawn dish detergent - $1 and the Lemishine was $4.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before

After (this pic doesn't do them justice)

Primer pocket (This was black before starting)

Inside the casing (hard to get a pic, but you get the idea)

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
They look good n clean!

Do they need dried or wiped off though???

Does it remove all the lube etc from sizing??

My thinking may be off but it seems as though they'd be pretty messy? Where corncob or walnut absorbs the lube and such...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First I dump them in a strainer abd rinse them off good with cold water. Then I put them on that towel and put another towel on top and roll them around to get most of the water off then air dry. Some people put them in a cheap food dehydrator to dry quicker.

It seems to get all the lube off. You have a pound of brass and a pound of stainless steel pins banging against each other plus the dawn to help cut the grease and oils.

I found regular media a whole lot messier. You have to dump the media iut if the case and then punch all the media out of your primer pockets.

With this it is put them in, take them out, dry. The pins will last forever.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
A shoe rack for a clothes dryer works great for drying grass. I place a towel on the rack and turn the dryer on low heat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts