The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has purchased some new land this past year and with spring around the corner we are looking to put a couple small food plots in. There is one open area that used to be golden rod field that would be perfect spot for one of our main plots. However this spot is right below one of the mountain drainages. Once the water gets down to the bottom land where the golden rod is the water spreads out into on its way to a creek about 80-100 yds away and creates wet soil throughout. Maybe with this past year being one of the wettest we've had its not usually as wet on a normal year. Anyhow has anybody done any food plots in what they would call wet soil and had any luck?

I have thought about created a drainage ditch at the base of the mountain and running it parallel to the base and then perpendicular towards the creek. This would hopefully divert the water around our food plot and create a more desirable soil condition.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Goldenrod, if left to grow thick and tall, is very good cover for deer.

Deer will bed down there during the day, which keeps them down in the valley, rather than heading up to the forested uplands at daylight, as they do in the case of more open fields such as hayfields, pastures, and frequently mowed fallow fields.

It might be good to manage that area for goldenrod for cover, and do a food plot on a better drained area.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I have thought about created a drainage ditch at the base of the mountain and running it parallel to the base and then perpendicular towards the creek. This would hopefully divert the water around our food plot and create a more desirable soil condition.
There can be regulatory issues with messing around with waterways, drainage ways, intermittent streams, wetlands, etc.

Not worth the risk, IMHO.

And that wet area might be providing some good habitat. For example, woodcock like wet areas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can't say what is good to plant, but part of my property stays a little wet. I tried doing a clover mix there and it lasted 2 years. Year one was great, year two was ok, and year three there was almost no clover, just grasses that grow in those conditions. I'm thinking I'll just try to keep it mowed to something like 6" from here on out. That will keep it growing new growth throughout the season and any and all forbes will be able to grow in the mix, and I've often read that deer love forbes :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have a similar spot and was thinking of putting in some elderberries this spring.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it’s wet almost all the main food plot mixes will not grow or be stunted. Unless you mitigate the water issue good chance you’ll be frustrated. If you can’t fix the wet area, I’d find another place or make one with a dozer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts