The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Really didn't know what to expect with the lack of gobbling during my scouting trips and the wicked storm that blew through last night but we managed to bring one to the pot this morning. This was my sons last Jr. hunt and what an intense hunt. We heard the birds (3) on the roost which surprised us both since we haven't been hearing much at all here in NE PA. I set up 2 dekes and setup about 25 yards behind Shane and started clucking and some fly down cackles. This drove the birds crazy and it wasn't long I could tell they were on the ground and on the move. Within a few minutes I see the 3 heads about 15 yards from the dekes and see Shane adjust slowly to their position. From my angle and eye sight I cannot see the beards and figure when Shane identifies a beard he will shoot. He always has the green light from me to take whatever he wishes due to me working almost all Saturdays. Now the birds start to move away I see Shane messing with the gun and motioning to me and I knew something was wrong. I heard him say "jammed"!! He was using my 1187 12 g. I try to whisper loudly for him to slam it! As he pulls back the ejector to let it fly forward I cut loudly to get the birds distracted and they all 3 gobbled which I am sure helped cover up the sound of the round being slammed into the chamber. I see Shane shoulder the gun again and boom!! The bird goes down and Shane was all smiles. He was still shook about the whole jam thing and I assume when he rode the first round home he didn't assist it forward all the way. Lesson learned and 2 happy hunters. Good Luck to the rest of Jrs...be safe.

·
Super Moderator
24,073 Posts
Congrats guys

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Congrats! The smile is priceless!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts