The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into heading west to Colorado or Idaho this year for elk, deer, and bear hopefully. What would be a good long range gun for out there and can take all 3 animals? I wasnt sure between a 7mm mag, 300 of some sort, or a 338 lapua? Any other recomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated! I also found a 325 fairly cheap if that would be good gun?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Depends on what your main objective is. If its Elk and Bear, a 300 mag or a 338 of some flavor is a good choice. If the deer tag is for after the elk hunt, the big gun will kill the deer just fine. If its primarily a deer hunt, and the elk and bear are secondary targets, any form of 7 mag is perfect.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
300 win mag ,stick with a common caliber ,ammo is cheap and easy to find ,lots of bullet selction to pick from if you decide to handload any

·
Banned
139 Posts
The 7mm Rem. mag is very hard to beat for all around western hunting. I use the .300 mostly but there's nothing you're going to do with a .300 that you can't do with a 7 Rem mag. For best results use 160 Partitions exclusively in the big 7.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Whats your definition of long range? The .338 Lapua is in a different playing field then the vanilla 7mm and 300's.

What do you use for PA Big game?
Do you reload or buy factory?

If your looking to purchase a new gun specificaly for this trip(and other western trips) then I'd choose a 7mm Mag or a 300 Win Mag. If you already use something in the .270, 30-06, etc... family (in PA) and are not looking for a reason to get a new rifle, save your money for some partions and practice.

If your definition of long range consists of 500-600+...then find yourself a reputable gunsmith and build a boom stick.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be using my 7mm Mag w/160gr Partitons or my .35 Whelen with 225gr. Partitons.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
30-06 with 180gr Nosler Partions will do just fine for on all the above named species. I've been hunting CO & WY using both 165 gr & 180 gr on Elk/Mule Deer/Antelope on three trips with excellent results. If you want a new rifle for out West....buy whatever tickles your fancy but 270's & 06's and similiar calibers work just fine.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Two brothers in Alaska used their 7mm Remington magnums on the smaller interior grizzlies and could not believe the excellent results..

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd go with the Remington 7 Mag with Barnes 150 TTSX bullets. Second choice would be 300 Win Mag with Barnes 165 or 168 TTSX. The 7 has less recoil, is plenty of gun and will perform well with a stout bullet like the Barnes. The Barnes are typically very accurate, penetrate extremely well and retain 90-100% of their weight.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
300 WSM.... All day long! 168 Grain Barnes Bullet will do the job anywhere!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
7mm rem mag or 300 win would be the best. But a 270 or 06 with a good heavy for cal bullet would work also.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I notice with the modern forums over the last ten years, the bullets, the calibers and the costs have escalated.
Of course, it is reported that the game animals have drastically increased their body armor protection over the last ten years, according to the newbie hunters.
According to some, the 30-06 and .270 don't work any longer. Especially on those 700 yard shots.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
mus42tang said:
I notice with the modern forums over the last ten years, the bullets, the calibers and the costs have escalated.
Of course, it is reported that the game animals have drastically increased their body armor protection over the last ten years, according to the newbie hunters.
According to some, the 30-06 and .270 don't work any longer. Especially on those 700 yard shots.
Now that's funny. Good one.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Think distance & practice...
I did most of my shooting in WY & CO. With '06....without issue shot out to 400+..
Last time out took 300 Ultra Mag. & shot my elk @ 10 yards...
All animals succumbed to Remington ammo...coreloct or scirocco
IMO anything between '06- 300 U/M is great...
Just pick a set up you shoot well & practice with...
Reliable optics, light weight & bipods...

1 - 20 of 138 Posts