The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a little shop off pa522 and saw a few barrels getting cut rifling, Jager rifles, Lancaster flinters, a matchlock made in the poconos. Talked guns with a master barrel maker, and traded jokes with his father. Son does the bbls, dad builds the rifles.

Then dropped cash on a Lancaster style Pa barn gun. Pics to come, sometime after it gets finished. I am in line, a friend of mine is at 14 months.

54 cal, It isn't going to be a presentation piece, its a hunting rifle. Basics for it are curly maple stock, 14 in lenth of pull, 44 in cut rifleing bbl browned, Siler lock, single trigger that will break at about 2lb, brass trigger guard, no butt plate or fore end. Not a bunch to it, about a years salary for a farmer in pa in the late 1700's and about double+ the yearly black ops funds for a married tech in pa in the early 2000's. The spousal unit will have to find out about this one before it gets home
I think she has a good idea that I did it.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I'm guessing Getz barrels from the Middleburg area (A long way from Butler ounty)..Not far from me...The guy is very well known in these parts.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It will be the longest wait ever. I only had to wait for 4 months and it seemed like it was forever. Congrats you will be happy I am sure

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
182 miles

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can wait though. Black Ops fund needs to reconstitute for the second half.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Watching a barrel being cut was always fascinating to me. The machine is a mechanical marbvel in itself. But the reasoning behind the shape of the rifling is even more fascinating. Matching the rifling to the type of shooting and projectile. Folks like Getz seem like wizards.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OOOOOOOH yeh

While I was watching the bbl get cut, which was really cool, John was going over depths, twist, decreasing depth rifleing, increasing and decreasing twist rates, changing the depth and twist.......................................

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The father was out of action for a bit with brusitis and he told me there were a couple in front of me and it was about a month per once he gets going. The barrels are made, the blanks are in, other parts are ordered. I imagine that it will be done at the earliest Oct.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quality and craftsmanship like that is becoming a lost art. Those guys are unbelievable. Enjoy your new rifle and please keep us updated. One good thing about a 14 month wait is you have a little more time to save up the final payment.
Tom.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Tell me about it. The blk ops. . . so far have turned out good. I took her to the Berks County Historical soc for the long gun exibit that they had and told her that the gun that I ordered was "similar" to those. Whenever she seen my new one after I got back from Cabincreek she REALLY liked it. She will hopefully really never know how much it cost

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Next time you go by tell Don Getz ---Bunky said HI! and Im still waiting for him to build me one of his POOR BOY BARN GUNS in 2 days!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmmm,

Maybe AFTER mines done

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Don is a neat guy---I have know him for quite some time. A good friend I work with -- her father used to work for Don and they got me itching for a quality BP gun......You should see how quick he can crank out a Poor Boy!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like pretty close to a year

Soon, very soon.................

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
heck Varmintmist and i should get together and do some shooting you cant be that far from me. plus it gives me a excuse to burn some powder

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figure on seeing you at the IMMPA place near Emlenton, I saw your sign but could not make the shoots.

Once I secure this rifle, I plan on putting her to use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts