The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a ride out today. Nice place, nice people. Purchased all I needed to get acquainted with my Deerstalker. Gun shop called, it arrived today too
Nice countryside where Dixon's is located, wouldn't mind living there...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Did you see the nice toys hanging from the ceiling?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went to their Gun Makes Fair a coiple of times.
Lots of good info at their free seminars, usually held in late July. Info is on their website.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Last Sunday of July. I go for the food only!

·
Registered
410 Posts
uplandr said:
Took a ride out today. Nice place, nice people. Purchased all I needed to get acquainted with my Deerstalker. Gun shop called, it arrived today too
Nice countryside where Dixon's is located, wouldn't mind living there...
Been there several times and it usually cost me money. I need to get that gun kit built i got there 3 years ago.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Kempton PA near the BIG CABELAS

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
Dixons is about 2 miles north of the Krumsville exit off I-78. If you go save a small amount of cash to visit Dietrich's Meats. Absolutely, positively, unmistakably best beef jerky in the world. Not all dried out like 7-11 blister packed stuff. You can usually find rabbit for sale there too.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
From a local...

Dietrich's is without a doubt the most miserable deer processor in existence. Their customer service is terrible, they don't even make a token effort (last I bothered to try to do business with them) to keep your meat separate so you get your meat back, and they can be as rude as all get out when you attempt to give them business.

I can't imagine it's an issue to walk in and buy jerky, but don't even think of having anything processed there. I'd rather chop my own hamburger with a spork from the carcass than take it there.

Dixon's is awesome, though. I live 3 miles from Cabela's, so Dixon's is an easy ride, plus my brother lives about a mile from Dixon's, too.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I'm going to stop at Dixon's within the next week sometime.

Does anyone know what types of flints he carries?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its funny i know of a place called dixons corner store its in munderf PA it has everything you could imagine! Its near my camp in hazen PA anyone else hear of this place?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Found out Dixon's is right up the road from me so i hopped over last night, wow what a place! Real, real nice guys too they answered all my newbie questions. I know I'll be there alot. Can't believe its just down the road....

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
kswiggy said:
Dixon's sells a 4F pan power that is the best I have used.
Agreed. Makes the flinter go off lickety split with a half-pan of prime tapped to the outside edge and a good sparking flint.

When I was young and flintlock season was still a very, very productive season (I came into hunting just as the need to surrender your doe tag to hunt with a flintlock ended), we'd practically live at Dixon's from November on. I can remember having all the guys at my folk's house to shoot the flintlocks and get ready for the upcoming season...we'd usually do that right around Thanksgiving. The trips to Dixon's were always a highlight of the season.

Now....the seasons and hunting have both changed, and I only hunt with my flintlock on rare occasions anymore. With young kids and a lot competing for my time, I often find it easier to just take one of my old military bolt guns for a nostalgic trip to the woods, and in 5C we can use rifles for antlerless now.

I hunted all three weeks of flintlock season last year with my flinter, though, as I still had my buck tag. I realized how much I'd been missing. I'm considering a long rifle maybe one of these years. We don't drive deer much anymore, so my TC Renegade that was a great choice for tight cover could be joined but a nice PA long rifle that would be a joy for the stand hunting I do mostly now.

But Dixon's is the place for all things muzzleloader....and even just antique firearms in general. Love that place.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts