The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reckon there's oysters out there, chickens, and various types of yard mushrooms, like horse, puffs, and meadow, that can be picked. But I think this year I may try to find a Chanterelle spot in some predominant Oak forests. I typically never look for them, since they start after a good rain or 3 in July, and the woods are usually just so muggy and sticky.

BUT, many folks say THEY are the choicest of choice mushroom. Even over the mighty Morel. Wegman's seems to think so too. :smile_big: So maybe I'll get a bit more gumption this year and head out.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Fleroo, Wife & I are fortunate to have Chanterelles in our woods.
They really like to grow in the ATV trail, between the tire tracks and along side. (or ATV trail is on their growing area)

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I found a chant patch behind my uncles last year that was huge. I picked an onion sack full. Had I been 3 days earlier, I probably could have filled up a few 5 gallon buckets. I also found a huge patch of black trumpets the second Saturday of youth squirrel up where we bear hunt. My kid was so excited he quit hunting squirrels and started hunting black trumpets.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The trumpets were in open areas around red, white and chestnut oaks on ground with thin leaf litter. The chants were around oaks near 4 wheeler trails.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have several very good patches of Chanterelles now if I can find someone who wants to pay for them I'll be happy. They are all in open hardwood areas.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Out with my son this steamy, buggy, morning looking for the elusive chanterelles. Finally success, not for me unfortunately, I somehow walked by them but my son who is a little more methodical than me spied them. It was cool to finally see some. I did come away with an old man of the woods and a shed. Was a great morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Back at it again this morning and finally came through. warm and very buggy but found a nice patch of Cinnabars (50+) and a patch of Golden Chanterells (45 or so ) found a few additional one's in the same general area. Happy to have found them, now on to the trumpets. Didn't have my phone with me unfortunately, so didn't get any pictures in the woods

Attachments

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Freebird old buddy old pal, where we going tomorrow ? :grin2:

This ATV trail thingy/theory is interesting ? They like compacted soil perhaps ?

·
Registered
384 Posts
After them again this morning, 3hrs in the woods and got back on them in a different area. Found a nice patch of about 25 most of which were small and a little too far gone, but uphill maybe another 60-70 yds. I found a real nice cluster. There were around 70 in a 10 yd. square spot. Very exciting for a true novice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts