The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to Hills Creek for labor day. I used to do this trip every year but due to health issues I haven't been north in I guess 3 years. Wow, the first thing I noticed was the traffic! The better half and I went to Wellsboro so she could check out the shops. We waited to cross the street and counted 17 sand tankers in a row going right threw town. And some of the senery is just decimated either by the wells or the large swaths cut for the pipe line. But what really got to me was the light. Over at Hills Creek there is a glow in the sky and it never gets totally dark. The other thing is the noise. I'm guessing that it is a turbine that runs the drilling rig? But that darn thing sounds like a jet plane, constantly. The first night I could hardly sleep.
I really feel for those that are dealing with this daily. What a mess. I realize it's a double edged sward. I just pray that the effects are only temporary. And what is unseen? Thats what bothers me.
On a good note I met up with a fellow huntingpa member and compleated a long gun transaction, nice fellow.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
The light and noise was from burning off a flare on a wellpad. It goes on for 7 to 10 days (usually) and then it's finished. The pads will be reclaimed and the gas lines will be planted with grasses, forbs and food plots and will be better than before!! We have it all around us and life is good.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Sorry your vacation was ruined, but maybe since the drilling has brought jobs to the area, people who didn't have the money before will be able to take some time off now.

Perhaps those people may go to the southern part of the state and complain about the traffic and factories.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Progress AND new jobs.........there is a price to pay for both. In the end , its a great problem to have in this region of the state that time forgot.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Just wondering how permanent the jobs will be and what will happen when the drilling is done. Not big money jobs just lots of hours. Saw an add for pipelayer that said 70 grand a year. When you read it it was thirteen something an hour 84 hours a week - 7 twelve hour days. Gonna be a boom for a while and they still will need a few people when the drilling is done but I gotta wonder.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
JMO 84hrs. weekly of my life, gas, lunchs, TAXES, $13.00 is fadein fast. What about health care for family you won't see or enjoy. Sorry not knockin anyone but don't seem like a good deal to me, but then a man has to do what a man has to do....later

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
That is why I won`t work for the Nat gas companies(truck driver). They was to run you to death and the benefits are horrible. The workers need to Unionize and get a good package going with a good healthcare-vacations and a nice pention. If that happens, I`ll be all over it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It is a good life for young guys or transients with no roots. I talked to a guy a few weeks ago whose son just started in the industry. He is working like 6 12's with 1 day off for Christmas. He is driving 1+ hrs each way. His son is in his early 20's.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My one brother in Montana has been training drivers for the gas people out there . He told me yesterday that those drivers can possibly bring in 100 thousand plus . Granted it will be a fairly short term of about two years , but in such tough times they cannot get enough drivers. Another negative is that the school turns out these CDL rookies with only two weeks of training , half being on the road . This is not near enough when considering safety .

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
octagon said:
That is why I won`t work for the Nat gas companies(truck driver). They was to run you to death and the benefits are horrible. The workers need to Unionize and get a good package going with a good healthcare-vacations and a nice pention. If that happens, I`ll be all over it.
seems to be a lot of misinformation , they are advertising for drivers up here. pay starts at $20.00 hr , 401 k /15% health ins , OT pay , 6/12hr days $500.00 sign on bonus,,,,just sayin

·
Registered
645 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
octagon said:
seems to be a lot of misinformation , they are advertising for drivers up here. pay starts at $20.00 hr , 401 k /15% health ins , OT pay , 6/12hr days $500.00 sign on bonus,,,,just sayin
Wonder how they get away with 6-12's? D.O.T. regs State no more then 60hrs in a rolling 7 day period with a CDL.. No way thats legal. Just sayin'......

·
Registered
691 Posts
My in-laws live along route 287 between Morris and Wellsboro. I remember the first time I stayed there 5 years ago, you only heard the occasional vehicle drive by. Today, it is like living along I-80!

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
octagon said:
I`d do 5/12`s, free family healthcare,great vacation and personal day package, union and a pention. If not-forget it. Those companies will run you to death if not. My dad was a Teamster and life was better then.

·
Registered
543 Posts
About this drilling bringing jobs to Pennsylvania. I've talked to at least 15 gas well workers over the past few weeks and every one of them are from states other than Pa. Mississippi, Michigan, Texas, Louisiana. So I guess there are more jobs now in Pa.,.... for out of state workers.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Bricklayers Local #1 of Phlia. Pa. 45yrs. now I hunt, fish, enjoy my family and live from my union pention, and anuity smartist thing I ever did.....later

·
Registered
950 Posts
dfx said:
About this drilling bringing jobs to Pennsylvania. I've talked to at least 15 gas well workers over the past few weeks and every one of them are from states other than Pa. Mississippi, Michigan, Texas, Louisiana. So I guess there are more jobs now in Pa.,.... for out of state workers.
spoken just like someone that doesn't know. Yes there are a lot of folks from out of state working here but almost everyone I know is working for the gas industry or for a company that supports it. Our unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in many years and the average household income has increased dramatically. Not all jobs work you to the bone but you do have to be willing to work. If you need a job let me know. I could probably get you one in a day or two. I talked to a few business owners this week and all three can't find enough people for the positions available. The one local trucking company just remodeled an old office building into efficiency apartments so they can bring people in from outside the area because the local "employment pool" has pretty much dried up. But that is just my area here in Bradford/Sullivan Counties.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts