The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to shoot Rocket wolverine expandable heads when I first started to bowhunt. Never had a deer get away but I wasnt satisfied with the wound channels or the blood trails. I then studied a bit on the broadheads on the market and elected to go with the Rocky Mountain Snyper 100 grain 2 blade broadheads and let me tell ya, they were just LETHAL! Never had a deer go more than 10 yards and the blood trails were useless (Dont get me wrong, there was blood..EVERYWHERE..They were useless in the sense that you didnt have to track after ya smacked a deer with one cause they didnt go too far!
Anyways, they quit making the Snypers and I find myself again lookin for a broadhead.

The 2 heads that I have narrowed my search down to is,

1.) Magnus Stinger 2 blade 100 grain
2.) Rage 40 KE 100 grain

I dont find the huge expandables appealing (Ones over 1 1/2") The rage 40 KE is designed for bows that dont pack the punch of a higher pound bow. However, it has a cutting diamiter that is at the higest level I personally would go at 1 1/2". Since I get about 70 pounds of KE out of my setup would the rage 40KE undergo some sort of damage if I shot them out of my bow? I know its a dumb question but I dont know if they were designed SPECIFICALLY for KE around 40 or if they can take the heat from a regular higher KE producing setup?

This is the reasoning I have for the 2 choices.

The Rage 40 KE is basically a Snyper with a 1/8" bigger cutting diameter. All I would have to do, is modify the blade a bit to accept an o-ring and have what is basically a more expensive Snyper. However, I dont think that one should have to modify a head to make it work a certain way eventhough it would make it better in the long run. (No popping open in quivers, ect.)

I kinda like the Magnus line cause they are lifetime guarentee and they look like they can take a lickin and keep tickin. However, I have ZERO experience with a fixed blade head and the cutting diameter is on the smaller end at about 1 1/16".

With that being the case, what would you guys pick? I tried for like 2 days to come up with a pick, but I cannot seem to pick between these 2 heads. They both have pros and cons and I cant decide what one is the better choice. What would you guys pick and why?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Well if you do a search on here, you will be able to find alot topics about Rage. I know the Rage web site has a KE calculator and chart which suggests which broadhead to use. I would bet that your setup may increase the chance of blades opening up in flight which some have said has happened to them. Don;t know much about the stinger to help you out.

I would say that the final decision would be made by shooting both from your bow. I a little pricey for a test but maybe some used ones could be found. I would not test the Rage KE with the practice heads because those heads do not allow the blades to open.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Check out the Stinger Buzzcut for a larger broadhead.

Also, don't expect a fixed blade head to fly where the expandables or field points do. It's rare when they do.

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
I hunted all season with Rage 3-blades without any blades opening in the quiver. My Treelimb quiver has holes bored in the foam. The blades are never pushed at all by the quiver, so they don't open. A quiver like this would make the "opening in the quiver" issue with a Rage a non-issue. 6 weeks of hard hunting and one once did they open in the quiver.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Buckdemiser said:
Check out the Stinger Buzzcut for a larger broadhead.

Also, don't expect a fixed blade head to fly where the expandables or field points do. It's rare when they do.
Actually ur fix blade should fly with ur FP if they don't ur equiment isn't set up right or u have a tuning issue...my wife shoots the 2 blade magus stingers and they fly great...don't know what they do to a deer yet cause she hasnt killed one with them yet...but from what I read and have heard u cant go wrong with them

·
Registered
14,183 Posts
why shoot a head with moving parts to acheive the same results as a fixed head? gazillions of deer have been killed with heads cutting 1" to 1 1/4", used to be nothing bigger. don't let all that advertizing hype fool you, you never have to worry about a quality fixed blade head opening or not opening.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I was just reading another thread about the rage heads failing. I have never used them so can't say. I used to use the rocket heads and also the muzzy's and then 100 grain Thunderheads. When I started elk hunting my friend who is an outfitter turned me onto the stingers. He hunted Africa and that was the head that his outfitter recommended for the tough hides on African game. He used them there with great success. I was amazed at how easily they tuned and how well they flew. I was really sold when I saw him shoot a bull elk in New Mexico which was slightly quartering to and blew that head through the back of the right front shoulder and out the front of the left hind quarter. Bull went about 70 yards and it was over. I have had great success on whitetails I have taken with them. We use the 2 blade with the 2 smaller bleeder blades.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If your broadhead is sharp & you put your shot where it should the size doesn't matter. I've killed deer with 7/8" sonics. Thet fly great & I always get pass thrus with them. I think 2 holes are better than 1 big hole.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You might want to consider 3 blades. I like the extra cutting surface.

Great mechanicals:
Wasp jakhammer 100g 1 1/4" cut
Grim reaper 100 g razor tip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts