The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
With down the well pumps or jet systems, if it is the pressure is "bleeding off" it is most likely a leaking line. Down the well or the line into the house. Jet systems you ADD FOOT VALVE. (Your experience may vary)

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
You can't compress water, only apply pressure to it, sounds like your tank is nearly full of water with very little air remaining in the bladder tank to compress, hence the short cycling. Did your tank test at 28 lbs of pre-charge pressuse when all the water was drained?. Bladder tanks should only have about 1/3 of it full of water at any time, if the tank is full of water all but say a gallon or two from the top the pump will short cycle, you'll have very little water in reserve.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Turned off pump, found no pressure at all in the tank. Opened sink valve, Pumped the tank up until all the water was pushed out. Now I got it up to 18 pounds but...My compressor is at my camp and I have to pump this tank up with hand pump. I'm giving this update because my arms are exhausted from pumping that stupid bicycle pump a million times. I wont be able to leave water off long enough to monitor changes in pressure and my gauge isn't accurate enough in any case. I'll get it up to about 27 pounds (three pounds below when the pump kicks on), turn the system back on and, if there are no immediate problems, monitor it by noting changes in the flow at the spigots as the week goes by. I suppose that if it doesn't maintain pressure, I'll have to buy a new tank.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was hoping the same thing. One thing that did happen was that all the sediment in the tank got pushed out into the lines when I filled the bladder with air and now my commode looks like the Amityville horror. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
A hand pump! Oh well, your arms'll be in great shape for bow season! If you had that much sediment, your pressure switch may be gunked up as well. If the problem resurfaces, clean out the 1/4 pipe that feeds it

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The latest issue: The water pressure is good but, when water is being used, say, at the sink or shower, the pressure will go down to nothing for about half a minute. Just when you think something is wrong, it will come back. It's not air in the line. It doesn't cough or sputter. It just fades to nothing and then comes back. I'm not sure how this is possible, since, if the pump were not on, the tank should be keeping pressure in the line. When it comes back on, I go and check and the pump is usually on. What does this mean?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Sounds like you really broke it good. Like someone mentioned it could be your pressure switch acting up from sediment. Good time to replace it and also install a gauge in the line. Short cycling will burn the life out of a pressure switch contacts. I had this exact same issue last week after drilling a new well, the pressure would drop to nothing and when I tapped on the switch it would close the contacts and start the pump....it did it twice and I replaced it, no issues since.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm thinking that I might have the pressure in the tank too high and when the tank pushes water into the lines, it barely gets low enough to allow the pump to kick on. There seems to be a delay between the tank pressurizing the water and the pump taking over. This may be the switch. I have a gauge in the line.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
What does the gauge read when you lose pressure, if the gauge in the line reads anything below 27 lbs before it kicks back on it is probally the switch, assuming the switch is set to kick-on at 30 lbs

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm going to check that next. I going to wait for a real life situation (like when Danesmom is taking a shower) and watch it.

Can I clean the contact in that switch? I cant remember the last time I saw one.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
You can clean them but it probally won't do any good, the magnetic coils are probally weak, the diaphram is probally corroded, blistered and cracked and for $16.00 and peace of mind why not just replace it?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts