The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work 10 day stretches...4 days off is nice...but after 10 normal days im beat...after this stretch I'm plain out fried...

My buddies families camp is 30 miles closer than home..i have to be back in early...so figured I'd check on the camp and do a little fishing before dark..

There are 2 creeks behind the camp..ive been coming here for almost 15 years and never fished them..

The one I spotted a few browns in a few rifle seasons back...the other is small but it looked like brookie water...

I started in the bigger Creek...figured id fish the short distance till the small creek fed in and fish the small creek up behind camp a ways..

I was very disappointed in the extremely low water...the storms last night must have missed this area...

I was walking down stream with the big creek but stayed out of the water sneaking up on the bank and spotted a spot screaming trout....

I tossed my spinner in and it was immediately crushed...the "dreaded" first cast trout...(I say that jokingly to a certain extent...it used to be a bad omen for me...but my last outing produced a first set trout...my biggest wild brown..and my first wild tiger trout..so now I welcome first cast trout..lol)

Turned out to be the biggest of the day...

The fishing was surprisingly good..the creek is a trickle but every pool produced fish...

A bit passed camp I spotted this bear track....for whatever reason they are around in the summer but we've never seen one in the fall..

I ended the day on this fish...

In all ended with 15 pretty little brookies. I lost more than usual...i blame the skinny water..it was tough fishing..tough angles for hooksets...but it was a great quick trip..maybe an hour of so of fishing and maybe a half mile of water covered ...I'm gunna have to give em heck under better conditions sometime! I never expected the fishing to be that good..

Really loving the new rod...it's performance is awesome...

After tomorrow I'm on 4 days off... hopefully we get some storms Thursday as they are calling for and I can do some more fishing this weekend!

·
Registered
909 Posts
mauser06 said:
I work 10 day stretches...4 days off is nice...but after 10 normal days im beat...after this stretch I'm plain out fried...

My buddies families camp is 30 miles closer than home..i have to be back in early...so figured I'd check on the camp and do a little fishing before dark..

There are 2 creeks behind the camp..ive been coming here for almost 15 years and never fished them..

The one I spotted a few browns in a few rifle seasons back...the other is small but it looked like brookie water...

I started in the bigger Creek...figured id fish the short distance till the small creek fed in and fish the small creek up behind camp a ways..

I was very disappointed in the extremely low water...the storms last night must have missed this area...

I was walking down stream with the big creek but stayed out of the water sneaking up on the bank and spotted a spot screaming trout....

I tossed my spinner in and it was immediately crushed...the "dreaded" first cast trout...(I say that jokingly to a certain extent...it used to be a bad omen for me...but my last outing produced a first set trout...my biggest wild brown..and my first wild tiger trout..so now I welcome first cast trout..lol)

Turned out to be the biggest of the day...

The fishing was surprisingly good..the creek is a trickle but every pool produced fish...

A bit passed camp I spotted this bear track....for whatever reason they are around in the summer but we've never seen one in the fall..

I ended the day on this fish...

In all ended with 15 pretty little brookies. I lost more than usual...i blame the skinny water..it was tough fishing..tough angles for hooksets...but it was a great quick trip..maybe an hour of so of fishing and maybe a half mile of water covered ...I'm gunna have to give em heck under better conditions sometime! I never expected the fishing to be that good..

Really loving the new rod...it's performance is awesome...

After tomorrow I'm on 4 days off... hopefully we get some storms Thursday as they are calling for and I can do some more fishing this weekend!
Nice report

First Cast Fish Curse. hahaha - I'm glad to hear I am not the only one to cringe when that happens...I usually get skunked afterwards, you did well...

10 work days in a row gotta suck.. enjoy your break.

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 day hauls are rough...4 day weekends are awesome though...for fishing I despise it...if you don't have the water your weekend is basically shot..

I also commute 75mi one way every day....so after 10 days im just beat...i had 10hrs overtime this stretch...one leaving me up for about 35hrs straight...

Yesterday was literally a breath of fresh air...

Finish up today...some errands tomorrow and hopefully it storms...and some fishing fri-sun at some point I am hoping...

·
20,128 Posts
If you did that well under terrible conditions you should do really well there when things are better......whenever that may be....

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.....maybe next spring?? Lol. We need rain incredibly bad...problem is we get 2-3"at one time and it doesn't rain for the next 10.

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts

·
20,128 Posts
Agree. We're also past the point of no return in the eastern side of the state. There is virtually no event other than a tropical depression carrying 2-3" of day long rain that could provide meaningful sustained water. The rest of the summer will see me chasing thunderstorms as best I can. This has been the shortest 'good' part of a trout season I've had in a decade. Waters have literally been low since the youth opener in April. I've found decent water cause that's what I do but that's grinding to a halt in a hurry. Another week or two without rain and I'm tapped out of options.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Low water definitely started early this year. I didn't get to fish several freestoners that I normally fish at least once every year. I expect low water in mid July through September. Hopefully we get more than just a few thunderstorms here and there.

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a little rain...of course it missed where I needed it...

Another round of storms supposed to come later...maybe they'll hit where I need...if not I may leave the trout alone...low flows are probably as bad as warm water having less oxygen etc...

·
20,128 Posts
Well, don't complain (which I'm sure you're not). Wrestling with high water is a lot easier than drought conditions as you know. Some years you get rain and some you don't......

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well....guess I don't head east to fish tomorrow lol....i was debating on heading that direction to explore....

I gotta do some looking...i really wanna fish tomorrow...put fresh line on the reel and everything!

·
Super Moderator
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well...guess im not fishing this "weekend"...

kinda frustrating...but i have a rifle to finish anyways..i really wanted to fish though!

at this point its worrisome for the fishes sake...and its not even July!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
10 on 4 off.. I feel your pain! I work a 14 on 7 off rotation. Don't have time to wait on the rain sometimes you just gotta get out! nice fish by the way

1 - 14 of 14 Posts