The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regular deer season was a big bust, and I don't mean Dolly Parton. I've had my new flintlock at the range once to make sure I could hit the broad side of a barn.

Today, I wanted to try it at 100 yards and I think I'm good to go. The rifle is a Tradtions Pellet Rifle in .50 cal, but I don't shoot the pellets, instead I just use regular black powder.

Range was 100 yards, shooting was from a rest. Load was 80gr of 3F with 4F in the pan. I was shooting the Hornady .490 round thingie and a lubed, .015 patch. I was a little left for my first three shots (circled in yellow), but then I adjusted my sights and fired three more shots. Looks to be about a 2" grouping, which I'll take. Hand is for size reference.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tell ya, with aging eyes (need to wear cheaters for reading and computer), I was pleased with the above grouping.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hoping to at least keep them all in the black (8" circle) at that distance, since this year is my first time shooting a flintlock rifle.

I can see why shooting black powder is so addicting!!!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Know what you mean with aging eyes, especially when it comes to using open sights.

Installed a set of flourescent open sights which has help keep me in the game of feelin confident with the flinter.

I would be very happy with a group like that at 100 yds.
Will be looking for you in the success thread after Christmas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts