The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted issues with my cva hawkins, delayed fire, proper load...wrong cleanout screw...etc..etc. I have finally learned that when I load this gun, I use 95 grains of ff powder, after firing at least three caps off to clear the barrel/bottom area of moisture. I then tap the powder, the I PACK POWDER DOWN BY ITSELF...then I load my 350 grain maxi hunter, which looks like a buffalo bullet. I pack the bullet in a well seated position, and then put a #11 magnum cap on. This rifle now shoots like a dream with this pattern of loading...Im pumped...thanks so much from the experienced shooters on this forum for all your help. al

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Depends. Some folks clean out the bore with alcohol to dissolve all the oil out of the nipple and flash channel. I always just snap a few caps. If the price of caps keeps going up, it may be cheaper to clean with alcohol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol...I feel better when all three go off and [censored] the neigbor off before I go hunting...don't care for him too much...but he knows when ml season is now...al

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
pt1e said:
i guess us flintlock people are out of luck with that... lol
Percussion is an improvement with ignition, but they have their moments with fouling ect. There have been days where I've had as many misfire fits with them as I've had with flintlocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts