The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out after work for the first time since Tuesday. The word of the day is run and that's just what the birds did. Nittany and Blitz each had 3 or 4 points without producing anything. They worked the ground scent after the points but we couldn't produce anything. They kept working the same general area and I just stood back and watched. This went on for over an hour without finding anything. The dogs would go up one edge of the field and down the other. Through warm season grass and cool season grass with an occasional point and relocation. The dogs went through food plots, ditches and woods. After over an hour of this Blitz had a strong point. I kicked around the brush and a rooster finally flushed and I was able to knock him down. Nittany made the retrieve on this well earned bird. After the bird was brought back a hen flushed from the same area. It was only one bird in the game bag but I was very satisfied with it.

Tomorrow the dogs will get plenty of work at our PF youth hunt and again the following weekend with our vet hunt.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hard earned bird for sure. The birds were running like crazy today. Today was ten fold running pheasant day. I came home empty handed, but saw many, running...

Frustration level for the season has hit a high in this house..

Dogs seem to enjoy their hard earned bird. Give the pups a little ear scratch for me.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's about the dog work for us beaglers too...most of us anyway. I went out with barneydog today on gamelands...6 beagles along. The dogs had trouble keeping the rabbits moving . Very thick brush,dead trees,vines,etc. No shots fired but the dogs worked their butts off trying to move the rabbits. They just did not want to come out of the brush.It was a beautiful morning ...it's not about numbers but the experience

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
bwire, what do you use the can for? I don't want to know if it's a portable outhouse

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It happen to be in the area and I used it to prop up the bird a little. That is all I will admit to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts