The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying an auto darkener. Right now, I have a Jackson hood with the large lens, and I love it deeply. I don't want a small lens. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools carries them. BUY ONE!

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had quality issues with Harbor Freight before. Remember, this is what I do for a living, so I don't mind spending a few bucks on this. I may even go whole hog, and send it to be painted like Fleury's mask. But with 6 Lombardi's, of course.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They work. Even if something happens, they are somewhat dark to begin with, similar to burning glasses. Honestly, being a welder, you get flashed a lot anyway, so I'm not sure it would make a big difference anyway in the grand scheme of things.

Now welcoming "getting flashed" jokes.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
I believe this Jackson is from the hood...

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
I've had quality issues with Harbor Freight before. Remember, this is what I do for a living, so I don't mind spending a few bucks on this. I may even go whole hog, and send it to be painted like Fleury's mask. But with 6 Lombardi's, of course.
Is getting it "dipped" like they do with rifle stocks, skulls, etc. an option?

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know. It would have to be a very tough paint.

·
Registered
183 Posts
stay away from the harbor freight auto darkeners.. if you are going to buy one. do it right and get a miller, lincoln or hobart hood. i am a professional welder/ fabricator and i use a hobart hood for 8 hours a day. no issues at all.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The auto's come in several lens configurations.

Try to try several on. Your going to be wearing it a lot. How it feels and wears is as important as the lens in it.

Bought a fiber metal Pipeliner hood back in 80. Still have it and wore it to the day I took the desk job. Sure used others along the way, but always had the white hood. I could stand on my head or hang from my legs and that hood stayed right with you. Very light, and the head band adjusted with a heavy rubber band. Used everything from the OEM replacement to inner tubes and rubber gasket material in that thing. Never failed me.

Last weld job employer provided gear. Had two auto hoods during that stint. 2x4 flip up on the first, and the 5x5 on the second. Both good hoods until you got in tight spots and out of the up and down positions. They are getting better, but they tend to be top heavy and slide around your head when you get jammed up in a tight spot.

Best advise is buy what works best for what you do. If your doing production welding - go for it. But if your doing repair or construction or renovation stuff - plan for the worst and very odds positions and buy accordingly.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
I have to agree. Go with the big name brands. They are big name brands for a reason. They will also offer the best options in functionality to ..... fashion and graphics if that is what you want.

They also offer the quality and safety (including airflow through the hood) most of the others do as a afterthought if at all.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Danesdad said:
I dont know anything about welding. Is getting flashed a bad thing?
That all depends. If it's Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood or Lindsay Lohan flashing you, it's fine. If it's a fellow welder, it can lead to sunburn in your eyes.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Been flashed both ways , the bad one feels like sand in your eyes, take a couple sleeping pills go home and go to bed........

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
All of our apprentices use the auto lens shields. I have been welding for 20 years and still use the old flip down, maybe I'll change someday.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm a plumber with welding certs, I bought the $124 auto hood at Jackson Welding and I'm pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts