The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have always love seeing weeds in a lake. Weeds are a part of a healthy environment as they provide oxygen for the fish that inhabit the waters. Which is why I just can not understand why a state park would go to such extremes to kill the entire lake!

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
they do it all in the name of water recreation.....which DOES NOT include fishing.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there is too much weed cover in some areas. I was at Pinchot Saturday morning. Having my boat land locked for two years. I missed this lake really bad, it was my favorite place to go. But this kind of weed destruction is crazy. You still need to have some weeds in order to keep the oxygen levels up for good fishing. Memorial Lake is another fine lake to fish, when the weeds are there!

The problem is on this lake the sailboats seemed to have the upper hand here. They complain and the fishermen never say a word! I voiced my complaints in the rangers office numerous times. They all say the same thing! Call Harrisburg. Nothing against the sailboats, but I hardly believe they generate the money that the fishermen do with licenses sales.

·
Registered
691 Posts
native or non-native, aquatic vegetation is habitat. You take the habitat away, the fishery is going to decline for sure.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i'd go either on this. yes the lakes need the weed beds as they are needed for the impoundment to survive,but. i have also seen some you couldn't fish from shore the weeds were so bad. 2 foot from shore the weeds started and went further that one could cast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts