The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find it. How do I get the grass and weeds out of my clover/ chicory plot? 10-10-10 a safe bet to fertilize with?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Double, I am interested in hearing the solution to your problem. We sprayed out food plots 3 weeks ago with Whitetail Institutes Sley, which was supposed to kill everything accept for clover, but it had zero effect. We were disappointed as the product is very expensive. However, Whitetail Institute says they are standing by their product and will send us 2 new bottles to replace the ones that were ineffective.

If anyone is aware of another product, please let us know. I am hoping to find a product in granular form, as we have had terrible luck with fertilizers and weed killer in liquid forms.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Use Poast for grass and Butyrac for the weeds. 1 qt of Poast and 2 qts of Butyrac per acre. You will need a crop oil "sticker" for best results for the Poast.

The grasses also need to be fairly small, not over 4 inches or so for it to be effective.

There is a supplier on eBay in Myerstown, PA that has supplied a couple guys on here.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yes, and very expensive, altho, if you only have a very small plot to spray, it's what many people buy.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I buy 2.5 gallon containers of Poast and Butyrac. $70 for 10 qts of Butyrac. It treats 5 acres.

Poast is something like $140 for 10 qts. It treats 10 acres.

So, for about $28, I treat an acre for both grass and broadleaf weeds.

BTW, one of the HPA habitat guys needed some Butyrac and I dropped some at his house for him today while I was in the neighborhood. Saved him some bucks, thats for sure.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Dutch said:
I buy 2.5 gallon containers of Poast and Butyrac. $70 for 10 qts of Butyrac. It treats 5 acres.

Poast is something like $140 for 10 qts. It treats 10 acres.

So, for about $28, I treat an acre for both grass and broadleaf weeds.

BTW, one of the HPA habitat guys needed some Butyrac and I dropped some at his house for him today while I was in the neighborhood. Saved him some bucks, thats for sure.

That be me.You sure did save me some bucks because arrest and such isn't cheap.
Thank you sir

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used Arrest with crop oil (sticker) on my small clover plot and it does not seem to have had any affect, i.e., after 3 weeks the grass is still there. maybe it isn't grass?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Arrest is the same chemical as Poast. The guys over at the QDMA site don't seem to like Poast as much as a product called Arrow (clethodim).
I have used Arrow w/crop oil on my clover/chicory this year and have had very good results. It is also available from Keystone Pest Supply.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also, double check before using Butyrac or Slay on clover w/chicory. These chemicals target broadleaf weeds and may fry your chicory...
Hope this helps... Good luck!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here’s a new idea!

A tree/landscape guy gave me this idea. If you have a small (a relative word) plot with any undesirables in it; try this. Put some ROUND UP in a glass jar; find a cheap paint brush and brush it on the grass & broadleaves. My plot is real small. I even thought about pulling weeds by hand but this never really gets the whole plant. Weather permitting, I’m trying it this week end.

Mixture: one part RoundUp, two parts Beer. I’ll let ya know how I make out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Make that 3 parts beer!! Better effect...

If your plot is small, take a weedeater to the broadleaf weeds, and spray for grasses.

The broadleaf weeds don't seem to tolerate repeated mowing like grasses do.

Here's a pic of mowed/sprayed Durana clover w/chicory.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
nativetexan said:
Try a quart per acre of glycophosphate. At that rate it shouldnt hurt the clover too much but will take everything else out.
That will work if done in the spring, but, he doesn't want to kill his chicory, so, Glyphosate treatment would be a no-no, in this case.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks Crow Master.

No pic from a magazine, just a little plot of clover in the middle of no-where Bedford Co....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts