The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

weed killer spray

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  RWBROOKSJR 
#1 ·
I planted a food plot this spring and did not do a herbicide spray before I planted and the plot got overrun by ferns. I sprayed a mixture of roundup and ortho weed be gone (I think it is mostly 2,4-D). I spread lime and fertilizer on the plot on Monday. How soon can I plant for a fall plot?

#2 ·
I think you are good...I was told on here you can plant the same day you spray. the spray will kill any thing with leaves it touches but does not kill seed or leave residue around that kills new growth.

#4 ·
Mutt, you should be good in a week and certainly after a good rain event if you used 2,4,D.

Do yourself a favor and just buy a gallon of 2,4,D. It's about $20 and will treat 4 acres.

#5 ·
Sheesh Mutt..my apologies I must of read right past the 2,4-d part after I saw the word round-up. Glad we got enough folks reading here to catch such things.

Sorry, I need to be more careful when plants lives are at stake.

#7 ·
2,4,D is a broadleaf weed killer. It does not kill grass. Yes, it will probably do a better job on the goldenrod for you.

You can mix 2,4,D and Roundup in the same tank and spray.

1-1.5 qts of each per acre and you will have the best kill you've ever seen. In addition, 2,4,D is cheaper than Roundup, so, you'll save a little money.

I have tried like crazy to kill off a clover plot with just Roundup. It'll kill most of the clover, but not all. To kill clover, 2,4,D is the best answer.

#13 ·
I only use one ounce of generic Roudup to the gallon around the house. In N.Y. I used a half of a gallon in a 60 gallon tank and it killed every thing. My son uses a lot more than me in my field in Lehigh County, probably because I pay for it and he doesn't.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.