The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted a small food plot last year at about this time of year. I Rounduped and then weed whacked and they scarified. I put on some buckwheat, annual rye and the leftovers from a couple bags of deer plot mixture (don't remember what mixesw, wasn't concerned as it was mainly for cover). This year I was going to roundup it and have it mowed, and there was a weed I did not recognize. Thought maybe some of you folks could suggest what it is. And if I new how to post a picture, I would, but I don't so I won't.
Description: About 3 feet high. Tubular hollow stem that is roughly between round and rectangular. Covered with fine fairly stiff but short (approximately 1/16 inch) hairs. Stem has distinct nodes, sort of like buckwheat. Opposite leaves. Leaves are serrate and come off in pairs. numerous seed heads. seed heads are slightly spiny and are located along the stem and at the terminus of the stems. They are dark brown now and appear to be mature. Seeds are ovate and are about 3/32 in diameter and are a dark mottled brown.
Any thoughts as to what they may be?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Amost impossible to tell from discription, post a pic. It sound like maybe some volunteer buckwheat that you had in their before. Do you know what buckwheat looks like?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have ability to post pic's. May take a photo and ask a fellow HPA guy to post it for me. I have raised buckwheat b4 and know the plant. Seed is wrong and some other things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts