The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got to take advantage of the youth pheasant hunt now Mason is 12. The first bird up was a rooster which he dropped with his first ever shot at a bird. We went to where it fell and I could hear it cackling on the ground but it wasn't moving. I was trying to call the dog in and get to the bird and ended up in front of Mason. The bird flew again and he had to wait for me to move out of the way to shoot. The bird was obviously hurt and didn't go far. When we went to where it next landed, we could not find it at all. We spent a half hour with the dog and us looking so I'm thinking it got down a groundhog hole. Trips next point produced two hens. He missed the first but hammered the second. This one was DRT (dead right there) when we got to it. He had a chance at 2 more roosters but for some reason, the triggers didn't reset on his O/U and the gun didn't fire. All in all, we had a great day, the dog worked his butt off and I couldn't be more proud of the kid.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Anytime you are out hunting with your son, it is a great day no matter what is or is not harvested. Treasure these moments, you will one day consider them among the high points of your life.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Great job. Always like to see our young men and women taking up the hunt.

Reading your story sounded just like my day with my 14 year old. Those pheasants are tough birds. My son is shooting a 20 ga. with #6 high brass and body shots only wounded them.
We did not find the 1st bird, like you said, I saw it land and when we got to the spot it was like the ground swallowed up the bird.
The other two I had to twist the necks on to finish them off.

I told my son, it isn't always like you see on TV.

Nice work,

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You both had an awesome day....He is growing up fast, 12 already..

Yeah, brother, I often wonder where the time went. Every day he looks more and more like a young man and less like a boy. He's been knocking the snot out of the squirrels with his .22 this year. I told him before the season head shots only, no more body shots. He accepted that challenge and has been lights out. He's got almost a dozen so far and only missed 3 or 4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts