The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Seemed like it will be beautiful morning. Moon shining, clear skies, and dead quiet at 4 when I left for work. Made me want to be heading to the woods.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Gobbling like mad back the road from me. Had to go to work. First gobbling I heard in a while and there were multiple birds all in the same spot.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Good luck, hope the gobbling is hot and the hunt is exciting.
Well it’s not haven’t heard a thing all morning I’m still sitting in my truck listening at a view

Attachments

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Not a sound again this morning. I have been out almost every day and the only day i have heard anything was the opening day when i harvested bird #1. Since then the only thing i have heard was a mad hen 2 weeks ago. Very frustrating but everyone else i have talked to are saying the same.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Gobbling has shut down here in 1B. They gobbled pretty good for the first 2 weeks and now they are dead silent.

Did catch a longbeard cutting across a field last night and got set up inside the woods about 60 yards. Hit him with a call and he gobbled and turned and marched right to the edge of the woods and I caught a glimpse of his head once and heard him spit and drum a few times and then he vanished...

The weather has been downright miserable and I think a lot of hens have abandoned their nest and are back with the gobblers most of the day.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I haven’t been out all week and it’s killing me. I punched my second tag on Saturday on what was supposed to be a “scouting” trip.

Looking forward to hitting the woods tomorrow and Friday with some tag/gun carrying buddies. Back at it myself in MD on Saturday.

Good luck all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was out this morning before work as well and didn't hear a gobble. My last three hunts have all been exactly the same. I almost forget what a turkey sounds like at this point. LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Back on "vacation". Didn't get home till after midnight last night though and it's been a long 10 days of work and travel etc. Ended up sleeping in....but I kinda regret it. I needed sleep and my hayfield of a yard is going to need mowed twice in a lot of areas.

Back to the grind tomorrow. Hoping the birds are gobbling!

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
Heard two this morning. It was a crapshoot which one to head toward and work. I don't know if I would have done better with the other one or not but the one I choose wanted the hen to come to him. All he did was make a half circle around me. I worked him from daylight until about 1030 and he just wouldn't come in. I did have a hen come in from behind me though.

Too many people hunting these birds so they know pretty much how to play the game well enough to stay alive.

I knew that before I went there. But, I just can't resist going there a few times each year.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Good gobbling today....son is up from WV...called 2 in this morning around 830...They strutted and gobbled out in a field for 2.5 hours.
We relocated 4 times before they liked the spot and committed. They literally flew from a field 200 yards away.. down a hill... across a creek to within 40 yards of us. Son couldn't see the one because it was behind trees the whole time..walking back and forth for 5 minutes looking for me. He then walked back to the 2 hens in the field.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Good gobbling today. I got on one right off the bat and played with him for an hour or so. He ended up heading up to a field with 3 hens and stayed up there til at least 1:00 because I saw him when I ran downtown. Around 10 I struck one and he wanted me to come to him. He gobbled good but did a half circle around me. I heard 6-7 different birds this morning on the ridges. Best day of the season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts