The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to admit every scope I shoot is Leupold except two Nikon scopes. On one weaver savage axis package I bought my son in 25-06 I quickly exchanged for a Leupold very 2 4x12. Now I have a weaver scope 3x9 40mm was just wondering if’s it’s. Quality or trash was thinking of putting it on a a 7600 ruger carbine 270 or I can put a Leupold rifleman 3x9 40mm on the 270:carbine. Now the Remington 270 carbine will be used for tracking close quartering shooting so no need for the best scope ever don’t need nin4x12. Was just wondering the overall quality on the weaver scopes thank you.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
the old weaver scopes were of good quality in my book. ive had a weaver V-9 3x9 on my 300 H&H for 40 years and its just as clear as the day i put it on the rifle. now the new weaver scopes im not sure about. i find it hard to believe that Weaver would put their name on a scope of poor quality. if im not mistaken, i think Weaver was bought out by another company though not sure by who.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had a long discussion with the owner of my LGS about this just the other day. He said he's sold a fair amount of the Axis packages with both the Weaver and Bushnell scopes on them, and he told me the only ones that came back were folks that had issues with the Weaver scopes. They're the Kaspa model scopes, which seem to get mixed reviews on the internet. Based on his experience, he recommended ordering the package with the Bushnell scope instead.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
IMHO...…………………. JUNK !!!

I have bought 6 Weaver products in the last 12-13 years. I have had MAJOR problems with 4 of them. One of them twice.

One red/green dot ($250 optic.....not a throw-away) the lens shattered in due to improper gluing

One red/green dot that lost its ability to hold zero

One V10 that lost focus when the power ring was turned

One Grand Slam 6-20 (high end scope) that the crosshairs just fell out of sitting in my safe

I am D-O-N-E with Weaver products !!!!

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Weaver is owned by ATK - a huge defense contractor located in Virginia. ATK also owns owns Bushnell and Savage, so that would explain the combo options offered by Savage.

In addition to the above brands ATK owns Federal Ammunition, Uncle Mike's, Hoppe's, Primos, Final Approach, RCBS, Alliant Powder, CCI, Speer, Champion Targets, Outers, Gold Tip arrows, and a few other outdoor companies.

While I realized a few of these companies shared common ownership, I had no idea they were all owned by one parent company. And the outdoor portion is just a portion of ATK's business. Defense contracting is their main business.

The old K-4 was a good scope. Haven't owned a Weaver since the 70's.

·
Super Moderator
12,483 Posts
My only experience with a Weaver scope is the 12X I put on my Ruger 243 back in the mid seventies with which I took a few groundhogs over 400 yards. The scope is still clear and functions well to this day.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i thought Weaver had been bought out by another company but wasnt sure by who. the only weaver scope i bought was 40 years ago. sad to say that some company would use the weaver name and produce junk scopes. ill stick with Leupold as i have one on my varmit 243. had to send it back to have it repaired last year and their repair service was excellant. didnt cost me one sent other then shipping.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just had a family member complain about the Weaver on Axis package that it shot good groups, but when increased power the impact point moved, but still grouped.

·
Premium Member
23,561 Posts
I doubt if the higher end Weavers mfg by Japan Optics are on packages. If they are...scope would be worth more than the gun!! lol

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
I doubt if the higher end Weavers mfg by Japan Optics are on packages. If they are...scope would be worth more than the gun!! lol

There are differences in quality between the cheap and expensive Weavers. Four or five years ago Natchez had a closeout on a scope called the Weaver Classic Extreme. They listed for about $900 but they were selling them for about $400. Guys on another site were real happy with them. I ordered a 3 x 10. When I got it I compared it to a similar Leupold and Zeiss Divari. It was way sharper than the Leupold and I could not see a difference between it and the Zeiss. Mechanically it was excellent. I ordered a second after playing with the first one. Both scopes were made in Japan by one of the better optical companies.

A year or two later I needed another scope. I ordered a third Classis Extreme 4 x 14. It was made in the Philippines and was nowhere near as sharp or as well made as the first two. Same model, same price, big difference.

In defense of Weaver I also have a recent production Weaver Classic V in 4 x16 on one of my silhouette guns. It is sharp and all adjustments are repeatable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

·
Premium Member
23,561 Posts
It's my understanding that Japan Optics, LTD plus Light Optical Works(Japan) makes the higher end scopes for several mfgrs including Bushnell & Weaver via outsourcing. I have a Bushnell Elite and it's Jap glass. Great scope sitting on my CZ Swedish Mauser. A definite step-up in quality from China, Philippines etc.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
It's my understanding that Japan Optics, LTD plus Light Optical Works(Japan) makes the higher end scopes for several mfgrs including Bushnell & Weaver via outsourcing. I have a Bushnell Elite and it's Jap glass. Great scope sitting on my CZ Swedish Mauser. A definite step-up in quality from China, Philippines etc.
I thought they told me it was made by Nippon Optics which would be Japan Optics. I didn't mention because I'm not sure of the name. Needless to say they are great scopes.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
To clarify a bit...………….. My Grand Slam 6-20 was somewhere around $500 12-13 years ago. I was at an expo where every optics company you could think of had a booth. I was in the market for a scope with a minimum top end of 16x and I looked through every offering in the building from $200 and up. At the end of the day, the Grand Slam was a very close second to the Nikon Titanium. There was scarce little difference even to the Swarovski, Khales S&B and Zeiss scopes. I ended up with the Weaver and put it on my 7-STW which was/is basically a safe queen.

One day there were deer in the back field, so I grabbed the STW just to use the Weaver to look them over. I go out on the porch and lean the rifle against the porch post for a look. The crosshairs were laying in the bottom of the tube !!!

I will give Weaver credit...……….their customer service is good. Trust me. I know. I've used it MULTIPLE times.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I have a Springfield 03A3 .30-06 with a Weaver K4 scope on it that still works very well.

That being said, every other rifle that I own wears a Leupold VX2 or VX3. I will not even consider buying a scope that is not made by Leupold or Nikon.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I only have one Weaver its a Grand Slam on a rifle I inherited from my uncle it's nice glass I've had zero issues with it. But I agree with Kudu 100% if I'm buying a scope its Leupold or Nikon only.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I have dad's old 6x weaver from the 50's mounted on my one 22.

They used to make good stuff, this thin has fine wire cross-hairs and is clear as a bell after 60+ years

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a long discussion with the owner of my LGS about this just the other day. He said he's sold a fair amount of the Axis packages with both the Weaver and Bushnell scopes on them, and he told me the only ones that came back were folks that had issues with the Weaver scopes. They're the Kaspa model scopes, which seem to get mixed reviews on the internet. Based on his experience, he recommended ordering the package with the Bushnell scope instead.
The package weaver's are junk made in china. Weaver still makes good scopes. Many of their better models are made in Japan. Thats the biggest problem with bushnell and weaver. Both make some higher end offerings which are still really good. But both put their name on complete crap. Its hurt both brands in the long run. Thats the nice thing with leupold and burris. you buy one of their scopes and you know your getting a solid scope. Vortex used to be the same way but they have added a crossfire line which is similar to the weaver kaspa line, made in china and people have lots of issues. You can almost tell what kind of scope your getting based on where its made. china<phillipines<usa/japan<german.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The old TC scopes made in Japan were pretty good.
Think they still make the 2-7X EER.

As for a cheap scope.......just for tracking jobs..............I don't get that logic.
You either want a good scope or not.

Magnification may be reflective in price.
But if actually wanting something to hold zero, not fog, and offer forgiving eyebox............

I'd go 2-7X Leupold.

Or a 1-5X.

Low mag in the sticks is pretty darn nice.

High mag is fine for varminting, but will magnify your wobbles and countering that (consciously or subconsciously) can make folks shoot worse. Many would be better served with less mag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts