The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on this rifle. Found one in 270WSM for a really good price. Don't need it, already have a 270 and just bought a 280 last week. Basically just trying to be talked in or out of it.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
U can never have enough guns. If ur gettin a good price there's no reason to get it. U might like it more than ur 270 or 280.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Bro had on, couldn't group in 4 inches at 100 yards. even with reloads and factory ammo tht 270 WSM wouldn't shoot. After a new trigger and a recround muzzle, it still wouldn't shoot. Nice looking rifle, he sold it cheap at a gun show.

Even thoough theya re made at the same factory, the Howas seem to shoot better. I understand that Weatherby culls out the good ones and sells them as their "MOA" model and the 2-3 inch grouping rifles are sold as just Vanguards.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
If it is a really good price/cheap there is a reason.That or the person selling it is plain stupid.If you get it be prepared to possibly rebarrel it.

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
I had a Vanguard and my cousin has one. Both in 30/06 and both shot great.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sort of a shame about the Howa, lousy triggers. They really need to fix that.

My bro still has a Timney he took af before he sold it.

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
I should have mentioned that these were older Vanguards when first introduced by Weatherby. Maybe things have changed over the years.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
There are currently 3 Vanguards in my family. Two in .308 Win and one in .300 Win. All group sub-MOA and one of the .308's groups 1/4 MOA (not a typo). All 3 guns are between 1 and 4 years old. None has had anything done to it....bedding, trigger.......nothing.

IMHO, the Vanguard is the best rifle buy for the money (or a lot more money) going today.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Ever since the prices on Savage bolt actions climbed up into the same realm as Remingtons 700's,I've been looking hard at the Howa rifles myself...My sole Howa, a plain synthetic Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Wby. is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned and I'd certainly try another at this point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts