The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Weasel

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  evergreen3 
#1 ·
I have at least one ...maybe more....weasel bugging my chickens. Saw tracks in the snow we had last week and was wondering what the best bait is to use for them? Also I don't have a weasel box as of yet but do have a few 110's. Would they work and what type of set could you use. I was thinking of making a bucket set like i do for coon. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Normally, note I say normally, you have to keep bodygripping traps within a watercourse per Game Commission law, however you say 'your chickens' which probably in turn means your property which would obligate me to say <span style="font-style: italic">Pashaw</span> to that law.

In your case I would pick up a couple of chicken livers or a small piece of fresh calf's liver from the meat department and use a small bucket or container as a cubby, the entrance guarded by a 110 sized trap. Remember, fresh bait works best.

Note to subsequent posters: this thread is about catching a weasel, not debating the interpretation of Pa game laws. I just want to help evergreen get his weasel before he ends up with dead chickens.

Now that we have cleared that up, feel free to jump in.

#3 ·
Thanks old mink and yes it is my property. I have some chicken liver frozen that was fresh when I got it that I use for channel cat in the summer. Would that be ok or would I need stuff that is not frozen. I was thinking of using a rectangular box about a foot long with a 4x 4 opening in the front placed right along the coop ..brushed in .. with the bait in the back of the box and the trap in notched in the box opening.

#4 ·
should work.even a foothold instead of a coni,set so the dog is against the side of the cubby.i've used 4"pvc pipe layed against the coop,it gives them a nice dark runway to play in.1 1/2"pinchpan coil at the ends,wired to a concrete block.

#9 ·
I would use a plain old victor snap type rat trap, also. I think a weasel could zip right thru a 110. They are a good bit smaller than a mink, and 110's have a habit of letting a mink thru every once in a while. If you go with a rat trap, here's a tip. When you wire your bait to the trigger, make sure when a weasel pulls on the bait, it can't pull it out far enough to get out from under the jaws before firing the trap. That's a mistake I made.

#10 ·
A weasel will generally go through a 110 but if that is what you are targeting you can narrow it down by putting weed stalks down through the jaws. The back of the pipe is fully closed off and the bait, dead mouse, was almost entirely eaten. So I missed him going in and got him coming out.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.