The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of us wear camo baseball cap style hats when we are out in woods. I have wore mine many times out in the field. But I got thinking the other day that the brim of the hat extends outward and creates a line as your turning your head. I have been busted up in a tree stand 15-25ft up on several occasions while turning my head slowly.

Do you think the brim makes a difference while turning your head? I think it does, but wondered if anyone has ever given this any thought?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Never thought of the hat brim. I am always too worried about the glint from my glasses to worry about the shape of my hat.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimsdad said:
I am always too worried about the glint from my glasses....
Yes that's definitely an issue. I think I've spooked game as well with the sun hitting my glasses just right. I remember hunting with my bear gang and some of the guys duct tape their boots. My friend was posted next to me with the duct tape and the glare coming off was so intense.

I also was turkey hunting with another hunter and we were spaced out at about 50 yrds. Trying to mimic a hen moving away. Well he was very concealed but I was catching him turn his head by the brim of his hat in the corner of my eye.

·
Super Moderator
13,720 Posts
Yes noticed that many years ago while squirrel hunting with a buddy...switched to a Jones style hat with a continuous rim.

Stocking head gear works too, but they do not keep the sun out on ones eyes.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Always wore boonies with a loose brim for that reason

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I've killed probably close to 100 deer with a bow with a camo baseball hat on. I honestly can't blame any time I've been busted on a hat...movement is the issue, not so much the hat. Pick the right time to move, and you could be wearing a Viking helmet with 4 brims and it won't make a difference.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I gotta side with shootbowtech. I think it is very rare if the difference between you get busted or not depends on a baseball hat brim. Unless the brim isn't camo or something weird.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
I gotta side with shootbowtech. I think it is very rare if the difference between you get busted or not depends on a baseball hat brim. Unless the brim isn't camo or something weird.
+1 It's like guys saying their white fletch scared the deer. If that deer is looking up & staring at you, you did something to get their attention.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
RayRay said:
Double Lung 20 said:
+1 It's like guys saying their white fletch scared the deer. If that deer is looking up & staring at you, you did something to get their attention.
I have had deer look up and stare at me when I didn't move a muscle. I was a good 15' high in a medium sized tree. Deer now know to look up. They never did that before. I didn't get busted, although she stared a long time. I was wearing a face mask and didn't move whatsoever. Sometimes I like to squint my eyes if deer are looking up at me.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The cap i wear has a short bill that does not interfere with my string. The one thing that i have found that has caused me to move more than usual while drawing back is my neck gator. If i have it up around my ears and i draw i can;t always find my anchor spot causing me to move more and not anchor correctly. That has not been the reason for me being busted in a tree.

·
Super Moderator
13,720 Posts
treemouse said:
Most of my archery caps have the shorter bills. I have an insulated radar style and fleece watch caps for colder weather.
I have seen those type of caps in years....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be looking for a short billed hat, thanks for the tip.

Thanks for all your responses, I think the moral of the story is watch your movement and shoot with your gear on from your tree stand to see if anything is going to interfere with your shot. i.e. affected anchor points, bill hitting string, loose clothing, ect...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Never had an issue with my hat bill, at least that I know of. I also hardly move on stand, eyes first each way and then head if need be. I always wear a ball cap until the 35 degree temps come around, and it's time for the tossel cap.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got busted with a baseball hat 2012 first archery season. Heard stick snap behind me, turned slowly, and had one 15 yds from me, saw the hat brim and took off. Can't say anything about glasses because I wear contacts.

So from now on I'm going to wear skull caps and if sunny, going to get full camo sunglasses.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I dont know how you guys have come to the conclusion that it was the brim of your hat that got you busted but im not gonna argue with ya. I on the other hand, have never been worried or even thought about the brim of my hat while hunting. Ive been busted a few times but i attribute that more to a couple of my stands not being high enough off the ground at that time and also due to deer approaching from areas i hadnt accounted for and ultimately picking my silhouette out from against the tree. I wear glasses as well so wearing a hat without a brim is not an option for me as i would be more concerned about the glare from the glasses as well as the glare from my pasty white face. I do wear a face mask but it doesnt cover the skin around my eyes.

·
Super Moderator
13,720 Posts
I changed from using caps based on observing hunters more quickly due to seeing the bill extension of their cap move as they turn their head. Whereas, the head movement w/o a cap bill does not tend to be so obvious. Maybe a small thing but check it out.

However, on sunny days a cap bill or sun glasses protect the eyes.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I always wear beanies, unless I have to sit facing the sun then its a beanie with hat underneathe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts